Windy Point - Why the Price Increase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting reading especially since the $75 dollars gets you into any state park.

no, into any Travis county park (with a 2 buck surcharge at Hippy Hollow, the state parks pass is a different one, as is the LCRA one (turkey bend, glouster bend, muleshoe,etc...)

at one point I had 2 county parks annuals, state park annual, lcra annual, national annual, with the inspection and registration stickers the windshield on the toy was getting pretty full.

no, into any Travis county park (with a 2 buck surcharge at Hippy Hollow, the state parks pass is a different one, as is the LCRA one (turkey bend, glouster bend, muleshoe,etc...)

at one point I had 2 county parks annuals, state park annual, lcra annual, national annual, with the inspection and registration stickers the windshield on the toy was getting pretty full.

Sorry I always ride with someone who has a park pass to the dam and WPP. Oh well still a fare deal if you live in the area, or teach alot on Travis.

Sorry I always ride with someone who has a park pass to the dam and WPP. Oh well still a fare deal if you live in the area, or teach alot on Travis.

Yes, well worth the money for me, I live off of 620 up near dive world, am out at one park or the other more often than not weekends.

I live in America and I am a Capitalist. I try to enjoy and appreciate my vast freedoms everyday. I work to eat and I pay to dive. I pay taxes to the government and I expect to receive certain benefits from this (other topic). I'm not proud of all the decisions our politicians are making and sometimes I bitch about them, but that's OK because I vote, and they are supposed to be servants to the public (hah!).

The economy sucks and a $100 will no longer fill the tank on my Chevy Avalanche; but it's still the best scuba trekking vehicle made and I like its ability to haul me, my pals, and all our scuba gear anywhere I see fit, anytime I want, even at only 16 mpg. That's the price I choose to pay (to play); I can always sell it if it's costing me too much.

When it comes to personal property, I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks I should do with it, it's mine.:wink: However, I'm also not trying to make money by offering my assets in service to others... If I did, I'd hope they’d be worth the prices I’d expect others to pay. If no one was willing to pay my prices, then perhaps as a Capitalist I'd consider lowering prices b/c usually that attracts more customers, allowing me to make money off my asset, instead of losing it.

Same goes with Windy Point: it's private, and the owner is willing to provide waterfront access and facilities to divers for a price, should they wish to pay it. Ever wonder why other million dollar Lake Travis estates are not welcoming divers and all their gear to campout on their water front lawns? They don't need our money; they've got plenty.

Vote with your $$$ and presence. If the price is too much to pay, then don't. We all have opinions and sometimes we over-value their worth to others (esp. me). Want to change the entry fees at Windy Point? Then buy it... it's for sale; you live out there, run it daily, pay the taxes and lower the prices... we'd all appreciate the break, and more of us would undoubtedly show up. If you don't have the $15,000,000 to buy it and make it the way you want, then either pay the piper or go away. That's what I'm doing.

Wag more, bark less (I'm trying, really).

In capitalism, for better or worse, money will always speak louder than words.
Choose appropriately and you might be surprised what happens:crafty:

Last edited:
I live in America and I am a Capitalist. I try to enjoy and appreciate my vast freedoms everyday. I work to eat and I pay to dive. I pay taxes to the government and I expect to receive certain benefits from this (other topic). I'm not proud of all the decisions our politicians are making and sometimes I bitch about them, but that's OK because I vote, and they are supposed to be servants to the public (hah!).

The economy sucks and a $100 will no longer fill the tank on my Chevy Avalanche; but it's still the best scuba trekking vehicle made and I like its ability to haul me, my pals, and all our scuba gear anywhere I see fit, anytime I want, even at only 16 mpg. That's the price I choose to pay (to play); I can always sell it if it's costing me too much.

When it comes to personal property, I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks I should do with it, it's mine.:wink: However, I'm also not trying to make money by offering my assets in service to others... If I did, I'd hope they’d be worth the prices I’d expect others to pay. If no one was willing to pay my prices, then perhaps as a Capitalist I'd consider lowering prices b/c usually that attracts more customers, allowing me to make money off my asset, instead of losing it.

Same goes with Windy Point: it's private, and the owner is willing to provide waterfront access and facilities to divers for a price, should they wish to pay it. Ever wonder why other million dollar Lake Travis estates are not welcoming divers and all their gear to campout on their water front lawns? They don't need our money; they've got plenty.

Vote with your $$$ and presence. If the price is too much to pay, then don't. We all have opinions and sometimes we over-value their worth to others (esp. me). Want to change the entry fees at Windy Point? Then buy it... it's for sale; you live out there, run it daily, pay the taxes and lower the prices... we'd all appreciate the break, and more of us would undoubtedly show up. If you don't have the $15,000,000 to buy it and make it the way you want, then either pay the piper or go away. That's what I'm doing.

I like this Guy.

Does anyone know when Richard raised his price before this increase?

I've used the public side and found that I always had to keep a watchful eye on my gear also had to deal with the overwhelming hispanic community taking advantage of pay by the carload fee which means all that friggin charcoal BBq smoke plus dealing with the occasional drunk AssH*#* I work just as hard for my money as most of you and I did not find the price increase that big of a deal to keep peace of mine and enjoy a nice social dive setting.

Dave

I believe someone said Richard's last price increase was in 94.

It is not entirely fair to compare the county park prices to private since the county can take what it wants and is not taxed. Bob Wentz Park used to be owned by the Barstows until the county decided it was dangerously low on parks and used eminent domain to take it for little compensation.

I am glad though that my annual pass to Barstows does not run out for another six months.

I undestand a picket line is being org. at WPP this weekend..............:eyebrow:

Zinc has put it very well - either you think the price to get into WPP is worth it or not. If not, find a place that has value to you. I will continue to dive there, but not exclusively (after all the posts about Mansfield I am planning to get over there and check it out). I also will admit that 80% of the diving I do at WPP costs me little since I am there with classes so I really do not have a good appreciation for what it costs for regular weekend diving.

Mike

Right on the money, bro! :yelclap: (Pun intended...:D)

Back
Top Bottom