Windjammer - Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manhattandiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone on the Board done this dive recently? I understand that the wreck has deteriorated a good bit in recent years and was wondering if it's still worth the extra cost of gas, guide, etc. Thanks in advance.

Haven't done it recently. Tried to go last time I was there but there was a tanker docked at BOPEC (or whatever its called) and we couldn't go. From what I hear, the decking is collapsing but the hull is intact and there is still plenty to see. Again, all hearsay but that's all I can offer.

Doug- that sounds like an awesome trip. I was there twice last year and can't wait to go back. Nothing like being able to chill on the reefs all day at 30' and to have the option of an epic tech/wreck dive all from the shore :). If they could just get some full size beer bottles it might be the best place on earth.

LOL! I know what you mean.

As for the diving, I've gone the last several years as faculty for a dive medicine meeting that is held there every February. I really enjoy the shallow recreational reef diving, but each year I try to also get in something different like the Windjammer, the deep wall at Karpata (>200 fsw), etc. Walt at Rec Tek Scuba is definitely the guy to hook up with !!!!

Doug

Well, a little over two years later and I FINALLY got to do this wreck. I was in Bonaire last week with my girlfriend and I needed a deep dive to stretch the legs on my rEvo. I dove it w/ Walk from RecTec scuba and two other guys. What a great dive! Beautiful wreck and a great reef for deco :)

We're planning a trip to the Windjammer in August this year and from what Ryan's saying, I cant stop thinking about it!! If anyone has any advice on kit to take, who to dive with etc, that'd be great...sounds like Walt is the man. Do you have his contact details?

Back
Top Bottom