Wilmington Nc Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quetzal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I Have A Place To Stay In Wilmington, But No Boat And Was Wondering If Shore Diving From The Area Is Practical. What Would The Viz Be? Any Good Piers Or Jetties To Dive Around? Would Like To Meet Some Local Divers Also.
Allen

The short answer is that there is not much shore diving in the region. I have heard of people playing around the Massonborro Inlet jetty, but conditions can be very poor.

Aquatic Safaris runs boat charters in the area, and even if you don't want to boat dive with them (or they don't have a trip on the day you're looking for) they should be able to give you some good advice about any shore diving options.

www.aquaticsafaris.com

cahendrick:
I Have A Place To Stay In Wilmington, But No Boat And Was Wondering If Shore Diving From The Area Is Practical. What Would The Viz Be? Any Good Piers Or Jetties To Dive Around? Would Like To Meet Some Local Divers Also.
Allen

The jetties can be ok, depending on tide and waves. I'd suggest starting with the north side of the north jetty. Best time is slack high tide, preferably after a couple of calm days. There can be a lot of surge depending on waves. Vis ranges from 1ft to 50ft with 'normal' being 10 or so during diveable days.

If you really want to dive, call Aquatic Safaris at the link above and get on one of their charters.

Have fun,
John

when you going to be there Allen? I am going to be down in a couple of weeks and may can squeeze in a dive

jdh:
The jetties can be ok, depending on tide and waves. I'd suggest starting with the north side of the north jetty. Best time is slack high tide, preferably after a couple of calm days. There can be a lot of surge depending on waves. Vis ranges from 1ft to 50ft with 'normal' being 10 or so during diveable days.

If you really want to dive, call Aquatic Safaris at the link above and get on one of their charters.

Have fun,
John
Thanks for the advice!

herman:
when you going to be there Allen? I am going to be down in a couple of weeks and may can squeeze in a dive
I'm kinda open, I work for my self and I get off Sundays, Tuesdays and Wendesdays.I can get off Mondays too and make a long weekend. It would depend more on the weather I guess.
I really need to go to Raliegh also for some training on Airline consolidator tickets I sell.
What did you have in mind?
Allen

I am going to be down near Southport the week of Oct 25 to 29 and thought if you were going to be trying to dive mid week you might could use a buddy. I really had not planned to dive, it's fishing season but if I had a buddy I may just bring the gear along.

herman:
I am going to be down near Southport the week of Oct 25 to 29 and thought if you were going to be trying to dive mid week you might could use a buddy. I really had not planned to dive, it's fishing season but if I had a buddy I may just bring the gear along.
SOUNDS GREAT LET ME CALL MY BUDDY "WHO DOESN'T DIVE" IN WILMINGTON AND SEE IF THAT IS COOL WITH HIM. I WOULD LIKE TO DIVE OFFSHORE ALSO BUT AFTER LOOKING AT THE SCHEDULE FOR AQUATICS LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD HAVE TO BE SUN THE 24TH. DO YOU SPEAR? WOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN DIVING MORE THAN ONE DAY WEATHER PERMITTING?
ALSO WHERE DO YOU RENT TANKS? I SEE AQUATICS ONLY RENTS TANKS FOR CHARTERS. I HAVE EVERYTHING ELSE COMPT. INCLUDED.
ALLEN

jdh:

Have fun,
John
HEY DO YOU KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY RESTRICTIONS ON SPEARING AROUND THE JETTIES?

I am pretty tied up around both weekends with other people, but I am "home alone" wed and maybe thurs. About 1 day is all I can do. I don't spear but if you promice not to poke me I don't mind if you do :) ....I may lay claim to a big flounder if you get a couple. I would most likely carry a camera. You can rent tanks at AS, just not the big steel DIN ones.

Back
Top Bottom