Will your LDS service 1st stage without a 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

livewire

Contributor
Reaction score
Had an experience a couple of months ago at Beach Cities Scuba here in Dana Point, CA where they would not service a 1st stage only (ScubaPro Mk15). Actually, there was some contention on that, because one guy I talked to on the phone said "Sure, no problem," and then when I arrived, just before we completed ringing it up a gal stepped out from the back, interrupted the transaction and said that their policy is that they MUST service both 1st and 2nd stage. It got a little uncomfortable, as I explained the 2nd had just recently been serviced 2 months prior and I didn't want that one serviced, but despite the discussion, she insisted on servicing both, citing liability, life support equipment, etc. The tab jumped from $40 to $110, which included a $5 charge for Christo, which I found a little much, but so be it. In the end I felt uncomfortable with them servicing the reg so I took my business elsewhere and had another shop service just the first, which worked out great.

Here's my question to you my SB friends: Is this a common policy for LDS's around the country? Other shops I've worked at or worked with have not had this policy, but I suppose it doesn't come up too much, so it's a little new to me. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

The first stage can be serviced separately, but then the second stage will need to be adjusted when installed. Servicing the first stage may change the intermediate pressure slightly. The second stage may need adjustment to compensate for the change.

They were hosing you. They could check your intermediate pressure before overhauling your 1st stage and reset the IP to the same PSI after working on it. Assuming everything was in sync before taking it in there should be no tweaking necessary with your second stage. You did right by going elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom