Will this gear fit my needs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xfactor1315

Registered
Reaction score
I’m a new diver that needs to buy my own gear. I will mainly be spear fishing on oil rigs and wrecks in the Gulf of Mexico. I won’t be diving in the winter or cold waters. I want to get gear that will be great gear for years to come without wanting to upgrade in the near future. I have done a lot of research and read a lot of reviews and am looking at the Oceanic Excursion BCD, Titan LX regulator, Suunto Zoop wrist dive computer, Tusa X-pert zoom z3 sf-15 fins. I’m on a budget but am willing to spend a little more if the equipment I have chosen doesn’t fit my situation. I mainly want input on the BCD and regulator but input on the other items would be great also.

All the gear you have chosen will work. Titan is a very solid reg, the Zoop a very simple easy to use computer. I have no experience with your BC but oceanic make good gear so Im sure it'll do fine. Not sure about the splits, I don't spear fish but imagine good control would be important, paddles may offer better control? It may not be an issue I'm just thinking out loud, hopefully a fellow spear fisher will chime in with. Good luck.

Are you going to be traveling at all? If not, that should keep you diving for years to come. If you are traveling, the excursion is a pretty bulky bcd.

I don't travel but once a year out of country, and will be diving from my own boat locally 95% of the time. Thanks for the input. I wore my buddies fins the other day and they were pretty stiff and hard to get use to, I wanted to try some splits since our currents are not usually really strong and I hoped they would ease my joint pain.

I'll check it out, thanks I have read the awesome reviews on it just was trying to make the initial blow on my wallet less painful. But Ill defiantly check it out and weigh my options.

I have a zeagle brigade sold only by scubatoys. I love zeagle and would recommend them any day. I had some fraying on my weight pockets. Sent them my bcd and receipt and they fixed it and sent it right back.

If you go with a back inflate, you will have to get used to it. Trim is much different than with jacket style bcd's. Once you get a couple of dives on it, you will love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom