Will the construction never end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, let's see...the H-1/Nimitz interchange took 15 years to finish, and the little bridge leading into Wahiawa on Kam over the reservoir took 8 years. Waikiki will be completed...let's see...what's that day after hell freezes over again?

Your origional post was way back in August. How is the construction now? Have they finished yet? Can you give us a progress report?

I will be coming out to Waikiki at the end of February for two weeks. I have heard the parking situation is the worst in the world. Is it true? My wife wants us to rent a car for the two weeks but my hotel is charging 13 bucks a day for parking!

Chris

Chris -

I was there last year and will be there again at the end of Feb. Not sure what your plans are, but when I was there with a non-diver last time we only needed a car twice. Getting a shuttle bus or even hiring a limo/town car was way cheaper.

I would also hire a limo from airport to hotel - ours was less than the cost of a taxi!

It's very solid advice. Experience is the best. My wife and I are discussing it very thoroughly. A bus pass is only $40 a month. I think, we would like to get around the island and will only need a car for a few days.

My goal is to let her see as much, and experience as much as possible so she might want to move there! Getting up to the Kailua area for me is a must and to see the neighborhoods, I would need a car. But for what, 3 or 4 days.

Another issue is the parking!

Chris

Universal Diver:
Your origional post was way back in August. How is the construction now? Have they finished yet? Can you give us a progress report?

I will be coming out to Waikiki at the end of February for two weeks. I have heard the parking situation is the worst in the world. Is it true? My wife wants us to rent a car for the two weeks but my hotel is charging 13 bucks a day for parking!

Chris
Kuhio is pretty much done, Ala Wai is done. But the parking hasn't gotten any better. In fact, due to the work done on Ala Wai, Waikiki lost about 30 or so parking spots.

It is true that "The Bus" is a great way to get around. We also have a new bus called "TheTransit". It picks up on Kalakaua, which is a first as before public buses were not allowed on Kalakaua, that goes past Waikiki beach and goes to Chinatown (very fun place :D). There are also lots of companies that offer SS Trips, i.e. Roberts Hawaii

When we fly out we sign up for an airport shuttle which, with coupon, costs about $5 (if you want a Ohau gold or Best of Oahu let me know). The taxi ride from the airport will cost somewhere from $25-$30. To rent a car to go to Kailua would be a good idea.

justleesa,

This is some good information. Thanks. I think we are going to do the bus deal and possibly rent a car for a few days to see the other side of the island as Alcina mentioned.

Chinatown? I know it exists but I have never heard much about it.

Chris

Very fun, good eats, lots of fruits and veggies, exotic canned stuff, Fish Market...with lots of different kinds of poke' ... Cloths....you name it, it's there. I didn't find out about it until my 3rd trip to Hawaii :D

Oh I have to make a recall on the construction...

4 new constrution sites in Wakiki.

Tearing down the theater on Kalakaua (happening now)
Tearing down and rebuilding the International Market Place (April 2005)
Tearing down/renovating 2 hotels on Lewers....(April 2005 too... I think)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom