Will Social Media Improve Diving Skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

antattack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As dive computers evolve and become more social media friendly, I figure it won't be long before we start posting our dive profiles on Facebook.

Think about it- We just did an epic dive to 45 feet for 60 minutes and saw the loch ness monster... Really? I bet your SAC rate went through the roof- post your profile. etc.

When that happens, we divers might become more self conscious about our dive profiles. It's pretty embarrassing to explain the one minute hop to the surface- "yeah, I popped up because we got lost and I had to take a bearing before we went through the kelp..." Or it might become an unhealthy obsession- I don't want to do that dive because I might not be able to maintain a pretty profile...

Do you think we will become better divers when our dive profile makes it to social media?

Not a likely scenario in my opinion. I don't want to say social media is a fad but right now it has a lot of people wasting time when they could be doing real stuff, like diving.

Pete

Speaking only for myself, I doubt I would be affected by seeing mine or others' profiles on a computer screen. For one thing, I've read a lot about divers' profiles and experiences already on SB and I doubt my diving has changed for the better or worse as a result. Also, I learned a lot of stuff in the DM course (physics, physiology, etc.) that was interesting enough and good to know. But again, I doubt this info. did much one way or another for my diving. I took the OW course very seriously (regarding DCS, etc.) and try to do each dive based on what I learned there. SB and other forums have been fun though and no worse than all the TV I watch. Gotta go--Dexter's coming on.

The LDS near me has a Facebook page. Nothing too exciting... just a continuation of the same old business model.

Congrats to Little Johnnie who just got certified as a Master Scuba Diver, the Black Belt of Scuba diving! ( Implied you should sign up also. )

I am a programmer, I could fake awesome dive profiles for myself. For $5 I would make a bunch of awesome ones for you, just send me your bank account number and the specifics of what you want the profile to look like. We can spin you dive experience to 5000 dives on SB and you too can be worshiped as a dive god.

Agree with spectrum the only thing that will improve your diving skills is diving, diving, diving and some more diving. I see to many people in diving that rely on their computers to tell them what to do but don't understand or even want to understand the theory behind that computer.

I can fake a dive profile (not air integrated) with a fishing pole, a hundred feet of line and a deep quarry. Just lower the computer down on the end of the line, wiggle it up and down a little, gradually bring it up, do a safety stop, and good to go.

I spent a lot of time alone growing up and I'm probably jaded, but I am tired of efforts to stick 'social media' on everything. What's next; bathroom cam? I know of a woman who posted on Facebook night after night what she was making for supper. People post publicly about when they're away from home for a week's vacation, etc...

That said, if it's not already done, I think dive software will start exporting JPEGs of profiles & data at a convenient size to post online to show dives for discussion (specific dives, not every dive you do).

Richard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As dive computers evolve and become more social media friendly, I figure it won't be long before we start posting our dive profiles on Facebook.......
This will become possible sooner then you expect ..... most likely when we release the next version of the Predator Log Manager App in a couple of weeks :wink:

.....Do you think we will become better divers when our dive profile makes it to social media?
I don't know if we will become better divers, .... but for sure there will be more awareness and more info available.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

On the other side of social media, scubaboard has made me a better and more knowledgeable diver.

I can fake a dive profile (not air integrated) with a fishing pole, a hundred feet of line and a deep quarry. Just lower the computer down on the end of the line, wiggle it up and down a little, gradually bring it up, do a safety stop, and good to go.

I spent a lot of time alone growing up and I'm probably jaded, but I am tired of efforts to stick 'social media' on everything. What's next; bathroom cam? I know of a woman who posted on Facebook night after night what she was making for supper. People post publicly about when they're away from home for a week's vacation, etc...

That said, if it's not already done, I think dive software will start exporting JPEGs of profiles & data at a convenient size to post online to show dives for discussion (specific dives, not every dive you do).

Richard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is actually even easier than that...

Step 1: Export to CSV and modify data
Step 2: Re-import and publish pretty graph
Step 3: $$Profit$$

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom