Will Social Media Improve Diving Skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when I go to the logbook feature of the computer so I can record depth and time in my paper logbook (yes, that's what I do).
I do the same thing, though TBH it has more to do with not wanting to bother with the Uwatec IRDA than anything else.

With that starting point, I wonder what kind of a person would not only look at the graphs, but would also post them on FaceBook for friends to see. My guess would be that we would see a lot of people showing off the dives they did for bragging rights. That might not be a good thing. "Oh, look! George just did a 300 foot bounce dive on air! Cool! I'll click the like button and give it a go tomorrow!" I know a former ScubaBoard participant who would be posting dives like that at every opportunity. If by Social Media you mean a place like ScubaBoard where anyone in the world can look at the posting and critique it, it would be one thing, but if you are talking about something like FaceBook, where the viewing audience is your friends, that is another. Birds of a feather really do flock together.

Agree. Posting dive profiles to FB has a decidedly "bucket list" feel to it.

And I'm sure someone who autoposts that kind of info will eventually live to regret it when their boss/life insurance agent/plaintiff uses it against them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom