Will Latex Shrink Under a Heat Gun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

V. G. McGillicuddy

Contributor
Reaction score
My drysuit has a Latex neck seal, and the only place it does not seal well is at the very back of my neck. My question is, will Latex shrink when heated, kind of like shrinkwrap?
I will have the neck seal replaced if necessary, but if I can save the cost by "re-molding" the back of the neck seal with a heat gun, then that would be great!

Thanks,
Gripp

Seems like the heat would cause hastened oxidation at the very least, and may even burn the rubber.

Try it on a latex glove first... they're pretty cheap.

simple quick fix cut a v shaped section out of the seal approx 2 " deep to approx the width you desire to tighten it up leave at least 1/2" to overlap and with drysuit glue overlap and glue together . Have done it before and works , heat gun will just screw it up

If you don't know what you're doing, send your suit to Superior or Gamble for repair. They will answer any questions you have on suit repairs.

V. G. McGillicuddy:
will Latex shrink when heated, kind of like shrinkwrap?
No.

V. G. McGillicuddy:
Ok. What should I use to glue it?
A great glue to use is PB-300.

Brush several coats on both surfaces allowing it to dry between coats. Position pieces (seals, drysuit pockets, ect.) and apply heat from a heat gun (carefully) and then pressure from a roller or mallet to activate bonding. The heat will not cause the latex to shrink but it will cause the PB-300 to activate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom