Will cutting my hair make a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is kind of a silly question, but I'm still a bit of a nervous newbie, so I don't really want to change things.
I did my certification this summer, and am up to dive 10. I don't dive cold water, so the season is over for me until I vacation in December.

I had long hair, in a ponytail, for my previous dives. The mask sat above my ponytail, but not on it. If I cut my hair very short, is it likely to effect the way my mask fits? I think if there is even a slight chance (since I have no way to practice locally to test it) I'd rather wait until after the vacation; but if this is just a stupid thing to worry about- then I'd like to have cute hair for my trip!

Thanks for the opinions.

Cut your hair. The mask will fit. Your ears may be lower, but the mask will fit.

Last edited:
Go for the haircut - it will not change the fit of the mask skirt around your face, which is where the seal is made. The only thing you may find yourself doing is tightening the strap (very slightly) if the strap used to sit over the top of the ponytail.

But the strap shouldn't be too tight, it should just hold the mask in place, not squish it into your face. You may actually find things are easier - I know my partner always has to clear stray wisps of hair from under the mask skirt to stop leaks, a neat bob or short cut will mean you don't have any stray hair to get caught.

Dive safe - P

You can always test in out in the bathtub. I keep my mask strap pretty loose!

There are no silly questions.

... and speaking of silly questions, why would someone with long hair cut it short? Seems like ruining something good .... or is that just the Neanderthal in me talking?

R..

... and speaking of silly questions, why would someone with long hair cut it short? Seems like ruining something good .... or is that just the Neanderthal in me talking?

I much prefer how I look with my hair short, and my husband seems to as well. I grow it long to donate it, and then cut it in cycles. I get a haircut about every 3 years.

You can donate hair?

I guess I get it if your man thinks short is nice. That said, there are times to ignore your partner :) My wife likes bald men and as much as I love her, we're not going there.

R..

Back
Top Bottom