Will be getting a dry suit. Is my 7mm semi-dry still worth keeping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerobics111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Per title. The semi-dry works well for me when temperature is around 55F or above but recently most of my dives are around 50F so I'll be getting a dry suit.

Is there still a good reason to keep the 7mm semi-dry or should I sell it? Can't think of many scenarios I would still need to use the 7mm. Maybe except for when I travel to warmer sites (e.g. 60F - 75F water) and not wanting to buy a lighter undergarment. I don't have 5mm but it looks like a 7mm and a 3mm cover the full range of warmer waters.

Keep it as a backup to your drysuit. I kept my 7mm for that reason.

If water temps require a 7mm suit, a drysuit can be used without any issue. The only problem I have with drysuit is in my case when the air temperature is very hot and a drysuit is too much when on the surface. I'd use a 5mm in this case.

Once you start diving dry it’s unlikely you’ll ever choose that 7mm again, better to buy a second drysuit for back up.

I only own two suits. 1/8 and hooded vest and a dry suit. If it is too cold for 1/8 inch, I'm dry. Never looked back. The majority of my dives have been dry.

I have had both neoprene dry and a shell suit. I prefer neoprene for lower swim resitance in caves but the shell suits give better flexibiity for various water temps. Oh and dry gloves are really nice!!!

Shrug, wait I know some people who don't like diving dry and only use a drysuit when they must. I prefer my drysuit over a wetsuit and only use a wetsuit for my rare warm water trip.

Dive dry for a while and figure it out for yourself.

I use both but I prefer a wet suit if I can get away with it. No reason to get rid of the semi unless you know you won't use it, you don't have the space to store it, or you need to sell it and use the money for something else.

Thanks all! Will be keeping my semi-dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom