Will an Aluminum Scuba tank explode when shot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the whole group was in on it. We had no ice and no way to get any. If you have ever tasted hot beer that is bad enough but Carling Black Label was the worst. They wouldn't send us more beer until that pallet was gone so we just took care of it and wrote it up to destroyed by enemy action.

Two days later we got a pallet of Budweiser which was slightly more palatable. Then discovered that 24 cans would fit across the cold air output of the environmental control unit of the comm van.

To not hijack the thread I still think that the tank would have to be filled with liquid - such as cheap beer - before it would explode in grand fury.

RonFrank:
My question is why did he need to use two tanks just to prove that a bullet could not penatrate when empty. Seems like one is more than adequate. Something fishy there....

I can assume the above can be explained by a standard Red-neck response and went something like this:

First shot fired.

"would ya look at dat'? That there darn thang didn't blow up....."

A few moments of thought process....

"Hey Vern, take that der other tank and set it up on the stump
down da range. I'msa going to shoot it with my 'big(er) gun' "

"hmm..... that didn't work either. darn, we's outta tanks!"

Be afraid when one of them goes:

"He Y'all, Watch this!! "

Beer abuse aside, Tom...did you have access to any high octane fuel? If so, open a drain plug ever so slightly on a fuel tank and let the fuel drip onto the top of the can and run down the sides...evaporative cooling. Works wonderfully to make normally hot beer very chilled in a short amount of time. Rubbing alcohol might also work in the absence of petrol. Necessity IS the mother of invention! :eyebrow:

My apologies for the distraction from this thread but, warm/hot beer is inexcusible.

mike_s:
I can assume the above can be explained by a standard Red-neck response and went something like this:

First shot fired.

"would ya look at dat'? That there darn thang didn't blow up....."

A few moments of thought process....

"Hey Vern, take that der other tank and set it up on the stump
down da range. I'msa going to shoot it with my 'big(er) gun' "

"hmm..... that didn't work either. darn, we's outta tanks!"

Be afraid when one of them goes:

"He Y'all, Watch this!! "
Two different tanks durring two different tests, 6 months apart from each other.

The first tank was shot 20 times or so, then hydro'd, and it failed.

Second tank was shot once, with armor piercing, hydro failed, only a dent was noted.

If you read the entire first thread, it will explain in detail the steps I have taken.

whalerkyle:
The first tank was shot 20 times or so, then hydro'd, and it failed.

no?????????????????

:eyebrow:

Tom Smedley:
Actually the whole group was in on it. We had no ice and no way to get any. If you have ever tasted hot beer that is bad enough but Carling Black Label was the worst. They wouldn't send us more beer until that pallet was gone so we just took care of it and wrote it up to destroyed by enemy action.

Two days later we got a pallet of Budweiser which was slightly more palatable. Then discovered that 24 cans would fit across the cold air output of the environmental control unit of the comm van.

To not hijack the thread I still think that the tank would have to be filled with liquid - such as cheap beer - before it would explode in grand fury.

Ugggghhhhhhhhhh, I think I'm going to pass out. You killed innocent beer.
How could you ! You sick pervert !

Beer, helping ugly people have sex since 1866. :D

Two threads on ScubaBoard and one thread on SpearBoard...

What do you plan to do for attention once this little "when dumb guys do dumb things" experiment is over?

Coming soon: "What happens when you hit a baby seal with a golf club?" by KyleWhaler...

God save us....from Kyle. :wink:

Tom Smedley:
We once shot a pallet of hot Carling Black Label beer with an M-60 and the results were admirable.

Dude...

That is alcohol abuse...

ScottZeagle:
Two threads on ScubaBoard and one thread on SpearBoard...

What do you plan to do for attention once this little "when dumb guys do dumb things" experiment is over?

Coming soon: "What happens when you hit a baby seal with a golf club?" by KyleWhaler...

God save us....from Kyle. :wink:
Do you really care? Are you going to watch the video? What's your beef with me?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom