Will an Aluminum Scuba tank explode when shot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread, and it's big brother do have a life of their own. Do we? We boys don't ever really grow up, we just get bigger toys and find more spetacular ways to destroy them! In my experience FMJs will not be needed. Any 100+ grain projectile, well placed, in anything like a 30-06, 308, 270cal. etc is going to tear into that thin metal, not bounce, but I don't see a real explosion, just a nasty ripping expansion and possibly a flying and very deadly piece of hardware! Do be careful guys, don't want to read about this later anywhere but possibly on this sight, ok?

do you think a 30-30 rifle could do it?

H2Andy:
do you think a 30-30 rifle could do it?
Oh yes, it would probably do it, but personally I'd prefer a higher velocity round, and one that I could rely on for accuracy at a greater distance. My 44mag or 35 Rem. pistols would do it, but not reliably from the distance I would feel safe with. Remember Mr. Murphy is ALWAYS close by!

gypsyjim:
Remember Mr. Murphy is ALWAYS close by!

yup, he sure is

speaking of which, whalerkyle, don't put out an eye or nothing :wink:

RonFrank:
Why not do what real scientists do, and publish something worthwhile about what you are doing, including a justification, what you expect (hypothisis), and how this type of research is going to benifit... something...anything..

BTW, after two ruined tanks, what have you learned?
After two tanks, I have learned that a 30 06 bullet will not penitrate the aluminum wall on an empty tank. Now I will test it pumped up to 3000 psi.

whalerkyle:
After two tanks, I have learned that a 30 06 bullet will not penitrate the aluminum wall on an empty tank. Now I will test it pumped up to 3000 psi.

You obviously have more $$ than you know to do with, so please donate to MY cause... I could use a couple of new AL 80's, or you can just send cash... :banghead:

Thats kind of scary. If it doesn't penetrate the empty tank it probably won't penetrate a full tank. What do you do with a high pressure tank that's been hit a couple of times with a 30-06. Be careful, good luck.

RonFrank:
You obviously have more $$ than you know to do with, so please donate to MY cause... I could use a couple of new AL 80's, or you can just send cash... :banghead:
He might be able to give you a good price on a couple slightly used 80's!

whalerkyle:
You say the 30-06 would not penetrate? That sounds rather odd, the story is legand that the NY state police here went to 357 mag pistols some years ago, as the 38 cal would not penetrate the block of a car engine. The 357 is a pea shooter compared with the old 30-06. What was your range and what projectile were you using? You have actually shot the tanks, I have not, so I have to believe you but it surprises me. Not the results I'd expect from things I have, er, damaged. You will post photos, I hope?

Realistically, you will most likely never penetrate the tank unless you are an extremely good shot. Why you ask? Simple, it's round with an extremely small area available for penetration. You'll have around 1 inch if that, all other shots will merely deflect. Simple physics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom