Will an Aluminum Scuba tank explode when shot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What, did the current monster thread "I'd love to see a tank explode" get too big for it's britches? The thread must now be self-aware, and now it's BREEDING. :icescream

Doc Intrepid:
What do you suppose might occur if I put my BC in the microwave?

Never thought about that one, Hmmmmmmmmmm :33:

Wonder what would happen if I shot a microwave with my BC in it ? :11:

Doc Intrepid:
'What will happen if I take a 3 lb sledgehammer to my mask faceplate?'

Depends.

Was your mask sitting on the ground/table or were you wearing it when you hit it with your 3 lb sledgehammer? I think it would make a big difference.

LOL, some of you people need to relax and enjoy this experience that I am willing to attempt. Just take a pill and wait 3 days.
It will be great if it explodes, but wouldn't it also be great if it doesn't?

Do you really care if I am going to shoot another al 80? I have ruined 2 so far, and they were brand new.
All in the name of science.

Dang...I never had enough time for girls & TV.

whalerkyle:
LOL, some of you people need to relax and enjoy this experience .

I don't think it will explode in a bunch of pieces. Rather, it will split and spin/scoot around in the brief time the air shoots out. violent, yes, a concussive boom? no.

Now, if it is full of O2 there may be some additive effects.

whalerkyle:
I am still not able to find fmj bullets here in cali, but I have 2 days left.
If you are insisting on doing this, you'll most likely find the FMJs at a military surplus store that also sells firearms. I know the one I used to work at sold them, but that was many years ago and before the gun control freaks took control of this country.

crap, now there's TWO threads on this tank that doesn't appear to get blowed up

this tank better end up being made of solid diamonds or something with the trouble
it's given you, whalerkyle

not to be mean or anything, but by now even the French Army would have blown
the thing up

:bigun2:

"Sir, we can't blow the tank up. It has surrendered."

"How do we know it has surrendered?

"Well, sir, it doesn't appear to be running away."

whalerkyle:
LOL, some of you people need to relax and enjoy this experience that I am willing to attempt. Just take a pill and wait 3 days.
It will be great if it explodes, but wouldn't it also be great if it doesn't?

Do you really care if I am going to shoot another al 80? I have ruined 2 so far, and they were brand new.
All in the name of science.

Why not do what real scientists do, and publish something worthwhile about what you are doing, including a justification, what you expect (hypothisis), and how this type of research is going to benifit... something...anything..

BTW, after two ruined tanks, what have you learned?

Back
Top Bottom