Will Air Integration in dive computers replace the SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
This is a general spin off from the "Should Shearwater add Air Integration?" thread. I'd like to keep the focus of this thread away from specific manufacturers and instead actually focus on Air Integration as a technology.

AI technology is proven to work. With every new computer and transmitter created, logic tells me the reliability gets better and better. I personally own an AI computer and it has never failed me. I'm also considering removing my SPG from my rig.

It's a known fact new technology almost always replaces old technology, especially analog technology. Just about every piece of technology in our homes, cars, businesses have been replaced by electronic technology. As far as scuba goes, dive computers have basically replaced physical tables and depth gauges. I believe the SPG itself replaced the J valve.

So will Air Integration replace the SPG? Why or why not? What would be required of dive computer manufacturers and this technology to make the SPG obsolete? More proof of reliability? Smaller transmitters? A stronger transmitter that can take a beating? Transmitter cost? Does it need to be priced closer to the cost of SPG's?

I'll start by adding one of the arguments I heard against AI. Many experienced divers say AI is unnecessary because they have a good idea of exactly how much gas they have in their tank. Then my argument is if that truly is the case, then why do you have a dedicated device with a higher risk of air loss failure when you could simply just "integrate" that data into your computer and remove the failure points of a blown hose, a blown connection at the hose and SPG and the possibility of the face plate blowing out?

I replaced my SPG when I purchased the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1. At the time I had heard some issues with transmitters on hoseless AI computers. Those concerns seem to have diminished. The Pro Plus has always worked perfectly and I love all the data it provides, including DTR (dive time remaining) based on my consumption, and the NDL calculations for a multi-level dives. AI computers are far superior to old school SPG/tables, IMO.

I can see several problems, with cost at the top of the list for now. It's easy to imagine a dive requiring 4 transmitters, e.g, BM doubles, a stage, and 2 deco bottles. At current costs that's about $1500. Then there's the question of how/where they're displayed, and how to switch easily between active transmitters during the dive(you need to see the stage at the beginning, perhaps, and the O2 bottle at the end). Finally, there are the current issues with reliability, dropped connections, etc, which are the ones you would expect to improve most as the technology matures. I just don't see how they scale up, though, as opposed to adding additional $75 SPGs and just looking at them when you need to.

Just about every piece of technology in our homes, cars, businesses have been replaced by electronic technology.

Not steering and brakes! Unless you commute by jet... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, cost is obviously an issue for technical divers. They (technical divers) present another set of problems to overcome, but also make up a small minority of the scuba industry. I imagine they would be last to accept the technology until the cost is brought down and a computer manufacturer develops an interface that makes gas switching easy and reliable. I could be wrong, but I believe they were likely last to accept dive computers as reliable and instead continued to cut tables. In fact I think many still do.

One concern that just occurred to me is the SPG is universal. I can grab anyone's rig and dive it. I'm not familiar with the technology behind transmitters but it would have to be universal so any computer could connect to any transmitter in order to make the SPG "vintage" gear. I assume this works much like Bluetooth. But perhaps someone with more knowledge about the tech side of AI could chime in.

I would imagine the answer to be yes but at some point in the future.

Once these systems have proven reliability higher than that which they replace then it will simply come down to money. That might be the sticking point for a lot of people as, at the moment, the AI technology is considerably more expensive. Convenience may tempt some but until the cost comes down it will prevent widespread adoption.

No, AI is a supplement to my SPG. I also use a Pro Plus for ease of display and logging but as the dive progresses I am cross checking my SPG. With AI on multiple bottles, I would think that data management would become an issue as to which bottle is being displayed.

Back
Top Bottom