Will a Balanced P-Valve Leak if Disconnected?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech3324

Lionfish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I searched for an answer on this but didn't find one.

I need to use my drysuit for some pool sessions, with the P-valve disconnected of course. It's a Dive Rite balanced model that can't be twisted to close like Halcyon p-valves. If I dive with no hose attached to the p-valve is it likely to allow water into the suit or will the check valve prevent that? I guess the safe alternative would be to cap off the port on the valve body with a plastic plug. What do you think?

Not familiar with THAT valve but on a balanced model all the valves should be letting fluid out, none in. It should not leak. You don't get personal back flow do you?
Certainly would do no harm to plug it.

Theoretically the main mushroom valve should be a one way valve and you should stay dry. It is a very pliable part and any foreign matter will probably translate into a leak over the dive. It's under the cap but extreme surge may still be enough to pry it open especially if it happens to be venting positive pressure. Having procesed the thought this far it would seem that maintaining loft would be a challenge since you now have a zero back pressure vent on your leg. Put a dead end piece of tubing on it and be done with it.

Put a dead end piece of tubing on it and be done with it.
That's my conclusion too. Just a 1" stub of Norprene tubing with a hot glue plug in it should do the job. Thanks guys for the comments.

Back
Top Bottom