Wikipedia article on "Doing It Right"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiki articles unless having the "good article"label must be considered as data which have to be cross-checked (historic and discussion pages are generally not enough) or tools to obtain key words for your research. The essay of Eric S Raymond about the organisation of creative work is a good explanation of some aspects of the wiki system, it can be freely downloaded at The Cathedral and the Bazaar.
Any change of a wiki article is linked to an official user or an IP. It allows readers to estimate the expertise and objectivity levels of the contributor

Thing is that if you want a good article, then have one of us write it, and then copy-edit and flag the NPOV and biased statements by someone who doesn't know it.

Note that this means that the role of the person with limited experience is secondary to the expert, in the role of the copy-editor -- someone who is just good at spotting NPOV language. Not as the principal author. Seems like that the primary issue here is that you've got the copy-editors fundamentally confused about their role.

That stupid photo is still at the top of the article.... FFS...

can someone post a good photo showing proper trim position here for use in the article.

I'm sure there will be better ones, but here:

0ae20430.jpg

What you really need is to get someone to put up photos of Bob Sherwood. He does flat better than anybody else I know.

I'm sure there will be better ones, but here:

0ae20430.jpg

What you really need is to get someone to put up photos of Bob Sherwood. He does flat better than anybody else I know.

Don't forget that the person who owns the photos has to give express permission for its use. (Click on any Wikipedia photo to see such permissions.)

Don't forget that the person who owns the photos has to give express permission for its use. (Click on any Wikipedia photo to see such permissions.)

How about these images?
Gear Training4

TSandM - i assume that is you and your image and you are giving permission.
Dan i like those images but are Copy Right'd by sandra edwards 2010 - not sure on permission status there.

TSandM - i assume that is you and your image and you are giving permission.
Dan i like those images but are Copy Right'd by sandra edwards 2010 - not sure on permission status there.
Sandra gives permission, and this was Errol and Matt.

That is my husband's image, and all he ever asks is photo credit. (Peter Rothschild)

I would assume Dan's pictures were taken by his wife, and he's also giving permission, but I'm sure he'll come back and make that formal.

There's all these pics on the GUE equipment page:

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

You can drop JJ an e-mail and try to sort out copyright permission status for those.

Since Wikipedia doesn't just require permission from the copyright holder, but requires the images to be licensed for public domain use (or an acceptable creative commons license), that creates some additional hardship to getting permission. Since GUE is a non-profit that promotes this kind of diving, you could pitch it as useful to the community and a public service to setup an archive of public-use photos of GUE diving. I thought about this, but just really don't have the time to do all the work to negotiate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom