Wife is taking advanced class...what is the go to primary dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Battery and led technology is growing so fast. Your expensive light will be pretty obsolete in 5 years

I can't say I fully agree with that. I think the LED revolution was mostly over 5 years ago already. Now, it's an LED and battery evolution. Slow, but steady.

I have inexpensive lights from 5 years ago that are still on the market and top recommended choices today.

My canister light is a top brand and top quality - and still the current model for the manufacturer. The price on that light is right in the ballpark of what top lights were 5 years ago.

I fully expect all the lights I have (which are all LED lights with Li-Ion batteries) to still be very competitive with whatever is the latest and greatest 5 years from now. Competitive on price, features, and capabilities.

I love my Sola 1200 Spot/Flood light, that being said I did not and would not pay full price for them. They do go on sale a couple of times a year at decent prices. I am getting ready to buy the DGX 600 for a backup light.

So for night diving, one should have 2 lights min. I use a Sola 1200 on the supplied soft Goodman handle as primary, and a Gobe 1000on my other hand, on a soft Goodman handle too, as secondary. The Gobe, has interchangeable light heads. I mostly use an UV light head on the Gobe, which has a yellow filter that makes it a white light. It is the Nightsea lens. I also have a red spot lens for it, which I use primarily at night as it does not spook critters. When I have the red spot in, I also carry a 3rd light in my pocket, a Gobe 500, so I have two white lights. Except for the red spot, I use my lights day or night. The Sola can project light in a narrow spot beam, or a wide angle. All use rechargeable batteries and have sealed housings, no O Ring issues.
And oh ya, DO NOT TRUST THE LANYARD THAT COMES WITH THE GOBE LIGHTS.

Back
Top Bottom