Wife is taking advanced class...what is the go to primary dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(less than great advice given here from the saltwater divers... freshwater/green water is a different beast)

For Northeast fresh water (Lake George, Lake Champlain, etc.) a bright pinpoint 1,000 lumen is the basic go to light.

I have a Salvo 35W HID Canister light I’d be happy to offload :wink:

I use my back-up lights in the Caribbean but I'd bring the primary for Lake George.

Who's she taking the class with?

(less than great advice given here from the saltwater divers... freshwater/green water is a different beast)

For Northeast fresh water (Lake George, Lake Champlain, etc.) a bright pinpoint 1,000 lumen is the basic go to light.

interestingly assertive statement about bad advice. every lake is different but I mostly dive fresh water quarries and freshwater lakes, have never found the 600 to be insufficient light for diving. If anything it is the opposite, in higher light conditions I need a brighter light to make a difference.

Light and Motion is very popular around here, particularly the 1200 spot/flood.
I've used the Sola 1200 spot/flood for many years, but it finally died in a fall. I like Sola, but they are expensive and not easy to get serviced when the battery fades. If you have specific needs like a camera focus or spotting light, it's not a bad choice.

For use as a standard dive light I think most people will be 100% satisfied for a fraction of the price of a Sola or BigBlue with a DGX600. They are very bright, reliable, good run time, and use a standard rechargeable 18650 battery. I have a couple of these for use as primary and backup lights. For just $60 each you should buy a pair of them.

I use my back-up lights in the Caribbean but I'd bring the primary for Lake George.

Who's she taking the class with?
Adirondack Scuba....this is the Albany Aquanauts Rogers Rock weekend thing

Good to hear. Randi and John are good folks.

I've used the Sola 1200 spot/flood for many years, but it finally died in a fall. I like Sola, but they are expensive and not easy to get serviced when the battery fades.

That's also been my experience. The solas are good lights, but I think they are substantially overpriced, I won't be buying one again. I own several of the DGX 600 lumen lights, they are nice little lights at a good price, but I've found the reliability to be lacking. I suppose for the price they aren't bad. Recently, I bought a couple of Kraken NR 1200s and the NR 650. I really like the ability to change the intensity setting (unlike the DGX lights). I've been really happy with them so far, but I haven't had them that long. So time will tell on the reliability front.

Back
Top Bottom