Wife is from Cebu, I'm American, LOVED diving in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would rather spend the extra pesos, than have to eat local Pinoy food !

That's what I said my first few years there. But after 11, I craved it. Even now, 12 years after leaving there I think of Pinoy food when I'm hungry. Langaw on the side with lechon manok, talaba cooked just enough to pop open the shell, sinigang,....and yes, a LOT of rice. But uga (dried fish) with crispy fried eggs, garlic rice and sweet coffee on the side.....mmmmmm. Best breakfast ever.
I worked with a lot of former rice farmers who converted to shrimp hatchery work. Bachelor degrees in chemistry, agriculture....hard working and smart. I ate what they ate. It was a bit tasteless at first but it is thoroughly cooked and non fattening. no refrigeration of uneaten food over night....that took a little getting used to ...

I agree, e coli is what I hear all the time that is common in the Phils and no one cares.

Pinoy food sucks compared to Thailand and Vietnam. Pinoy food is Salty, Greasy and full or MSG and Fat. ! Anyone who thinks it is good, either does'nt know better or has some how brainwashed them self it is good.

I would rather spend the extra pesos, than have to eat local Pinoy food !
You probably do not know much about Pinoy's food!!!!
That is why you would spend P90.00 for a non-ice-cream than a proper one.
E. coli is NOT exclusively Pinoy's affair. Have you ever travelled in Thailand and Vietnam or even in HK?

it is thoroughly cooked and non fattening. no refrigeration of uneaten food over night....that took a little getting used to ...

Definitely no E. Coli then.

I pretty much agree with DonCebu, and I've lived here for 4 years with a Filipina partner. I've also lived/worked in Thailand and Malaysia - I never had a problem with the food there. I've only spent 2 months in Vietnam - I loved the bread there (you cannot get good bread in the Philippines, its gross) but the other dishes weren't great. Philippines is the worst though, I find Pinoy food to be bland - too much fat, too much salt, too little spice and far too little fruit and vegetable.

I'm sure it seems very different when you come over here on a diving trip - and taste is a personal issue. I just don't enjoy eating pork fat and rice.

I'm sure it seems very different when you come over here on a diving trip - and taste is a personal issue. I just don't enjoy eating pork fat and rice.

I eat at local eatery places and know what to/NOT to order.
Of course taste is very personal and it is not just exclusively limited to food and ice-cream.

I pretty much agree with DonCebu, and I've lived here for 4 years with a Filipina partner. I've also lived/worked in Thailand and Malaysia - I never had a problem with the food there. I've only spent 2 months in Vietnam - I loved the bread there (you cannot get good bread in the Philippines, its gross) but the other dishes weren't great. Philippines is the worst though, I find Pinoy food to be bland - too much fat, too much salt, too little spice and far too little fruit and vegetable.

The food varies from region to region in the Philippines. Ilocanos eat more spicy food. (Cebuanos eat a lot of corn, which led to the long standing belief as to why the Cebuanas had larger....uhhhh.....mammaries) I never really got used to food in Manila but Ilonggos have better langaw (suka) and kinilaw (kilawen?) than the Tagalogs make.....in my humble opinion.
We ate a LOT of fruit and veggies in Iloilo but I was near a rural area.
I've been to Manila a few times in the last few years at my daughter's condo near Wak WAk golf club....I wasn't impressed in the supermarkets. Too much junk food and the veggies weren't fresh.
You need to get out in the country more. Like anywhere else I guess.....
I DO agree with you on Malaysia though. Best food I've ever had in the world. I lived there for a year and a half....the mixture of Chinese and Indian......whoooaaaa.

Last edited:
Stayed at Fridays, dove from boats that were anchored right off shore. Specific sites? Sorry, that was too many years ago to remember. I mainly remember how helpful the local divemasters were as far as taking me to places where I would find stuff to take pictures of (lionfish, etc) and patiently waiting while I took my pictures. You don't get that kind of individual service anywhere else I've ever been in the world unless you are willing to shell out a lot more cash.

Who did you dive with in Boracay, op?

That is why you would spend P90.00 for a non-ice-cream than a proper one.
E. coli is NOT exclusively Pinoy's affair. Have you ever travelled in Thailand and Vietnam or even in HK?

Yeah right ! I have been eating Pinoy food since the day I was born !

What is a "proper" ice cream ? Is a Dirty Water ice cream "proper" ?

Yes I have traveled in Thailand and HK... and I loved eating the street food there !

Yeah right ! I have been eating Pinoy food since the day I was born !

What is a "proper" ice cream ? Is a Dirty Water ice cream "proper" ?

Yes I have traveled in Thailand and HK... and I loved eating the street food there !
1. You are still alive and kicking and so are million and millions of Pinoys. Are you suffering from any debilitating disease from eating "unhealthy" Pinoy's food. Even a foreigner, Hank 49, knows where he could find tasty and healthy Pinoy's food in the country.
2. "Dirty" water ice-cream is still a ice-cream albeit unhygenic BUT gelato is definitely NOT. I never ever came across any "dirty" water ice-cream in Philippines over last 18 yrs. Am I lucky or I know where to buy good ice-cream?
3. Food poisoning caused by E. Coli is quite common in HK. Even our beaches are closed because of that. Tell me anywhere that E. Coli does not exist?
BTW, Salmonella is more potent.

1. You are still alive and kicking and so are million and millions of Pinoys.

Absence of death doesn't prove safety. Would someone have to die, before you changed your views?

Likewise, the fact that the Philippines' population hasn't been eradicated by food poisoning proves nothing. However, the rates of gastro-intestinal illness here (and consequent deaths) is very high.

Are you suffering from any debilitating disease from eating "unhealthy" Pinoy's food.

Me... no... I don't eat a typical Pinoy diet, despite living here. Salad, fruit and wholewheat rice forms a major part of my diet, despite the scarcity of those ingredients in Manila. I don't eat much junk food.

However, in general, Philippines has;

Highest rates of heart disease in Asia.

Highest obesity rates in Asia.

2. "Dirty" water ice-cream is still a ice-cream albeit unhygenic BUT gelato is definitely NOT. I never ever came across any "dirty" water ice-cream in Philippines over last 18 yrs. Am I lucky or I know where to buy good ice-cream?

Perhaps you don't know the difference?

Philippines news channel ABS-CBN did an article recently on the street food. They found harmful bacteria (E.coli and Salmonela) in the majority of samples taken. Their advice was not to eat! ... and that was from the local health experts. Human gut can adapt, within boundaries, to contaminated foodstuffs - what a local eats regularly can still be devastating for a non-acclimatised visitor.

Locals eat this stuff because it's cheap - and Philippines has a very high percentage of poverty. Sadly, those living in poverty also cannot afford modern medical treatment, meaning that illness rates, parasitical infections etc aren't reliably recorded.

3. Food poisoning caused by E. Coli is quite common in HK. Even our beaches are closed because of that. Tell me anywhere that E. Coli does not exist?
BTW, Salmonella is more potent.

So, by your logic, just because Hong Kong is a disease ridden, contaminated stink-hole... it makes it acceptable to have contaminated food elsewhere?

E.Coli and Salmonella do exist virtually everywhere - but effective food handling and preparation means that these bacteria do not survive through the cooking process and get ingested.

Streetfood in the Philippines doesn't have effective food handling and preparation - there's a major problem with cross-contamination, meaning that these bacterias survive and get ingested.

Did you ever eat a street-food BBQ here? Watch how they use the same 'brush' to marinade the raw meat... then put more marinade onto the cooked product before handing it to you. That's cross-contamination... the marinade brush goes from raw meat to cooked meat... as does the bacteria.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom