Wide masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally the Atomic subframe was wide enough for my face...the frameless was a bit small on the sides and leak during the dive although it felt great in the shop, the oceanic pioneer didn't even fit well in shop and the shadow didn't feel that great either....I learned the hard way that a nice fit on the dive shop doesn't guarantee that's the mask for you!

Wait a minute. You say that the Oceanic Pioneer is smaller than the Atomic Subframe mask? I heard that the Atomic was actually smaller. Have you tried the Seadive masks.

Finally the Atomic subframe was wide enough for my face...the frameless was a bit small on the sides and leak during the dive although it felt great in the shop, the oceanic pioneer didn't even fit well in shop and the shadow didn't feel that great either....I learned the hard way that a nice fit on the dive shop doesn't guarantee that's the mask for you!

Wait a minute. You say that the Oceanic Pioneer is smaller than the Atomic Subframe mask? I heard that the Atomic was actually smaller. Have you tried the Seadive masks.

No, the Pioneer is a wide mask is just that it didn't feel right, I noticed that the skirt of the pioneer is a bit bigger than the subframe but not wider or at least not that much, but wider than the frameless indeed.

I tried the Tusa Visulator today. True it is large mask however the skirt is not as wide as a Mares X Vision. So basically it was even smaller than the Mares X Vision for me!

I have a somewhat wide face and the atomic frameless fit me ok but not great, I swapped over to the HOG frameless masks(after my atomic popped a leak at the bottom of the quarry and got **** canned lol) and they fit great, after trying several different masks ranging from $30 to the atomic frameless. The HOG frameless mask for like $40 fit better and had better clarity than any other mask I've tried.

I own 2 and always carry the 2nd in my right pocket and swap them out after every dive.

I've managed to break the strap on one of them in a hurry doing part of my DM training(which to be perfectly honest was not a manufacturer defect, and I told the company owner that) and he sent me a new one no questions asked.

Chris has turned me into a walking advertisement for HOG gear lol

So basically to summarize it all (and I am only interested in high quality masks):

- Scuabpro Frameless (1) is larger than Atomic Frameles.
- Scubapro Frameless' skirt is smaller than Mares X Vision
- The Oceanic Pioneer's skirt is a bit larger than the Atomic Subframe
- The Oceanic Pioneer is as wide as the Atomic Subframe.
- The Tusa Visualator is a big ass (uncomfortable) mask with a smaller skirt than my Marex X Vision. Note that the Visualator has substianlly more volume than a say a Frameless (I tried this mask on yesterday and did not like it at all). Just something to keep in mind.

In another thread I read that a user switched from Atomic Subframe to Seadive EagleEye Single Lens (frameless) because the skirt was larger. Can someone acknowledge this. Experience with the other Seadive models like Seadive Monarch and SeaHawk are also highly welcome!

Seadive Monarch (I particularly like the shape of this mask)

Seadive Seahawk

Seadive EagleEye (Only difference between the SeaHawk and EagleEye is, as far as I could find, a nose purge in the EagleEye which I don't want).

Just because something cost more $$$ does not mean it's higher quality. But you're welcome to pay for advertising if you must.

OK, so I have a big head. Well, wide anyway. I'm currently using a Mares X-Vision, which is just okay. I really wish it were a bit wider so the sides of my eyes don't feel pushed in and I don't look like I'm wearing a kids mask :). I'm looking for a mask that's fairly wide, and still relatively low-volume. I've tried most of the "names" out there, but I'm still not satisfied. Any suggestions?? TIA!

P.S. yes, did a Search but came up with nada... any suggestions appreciated!

i have a scuba max shaimu oversize mask, VERY well built, i love it,you can buy one cheap today for $28.00 on ebay!!!!:eyebrow:

Any updates on this from any of you? My hubbie is a newbie diver, not so comfortable in water to begin with, and the difficulty of finding him a mask that doesn't leak is adding to his discomfort. I'm desperate to find him one before he gives up altogether. He is a big guy with a wide face and they leak at the outer corners of his eyes. Add to this he wears glasses so right now uses pop in lenses. I guess for the ones mentioned above we would need to get ground lenses to add inside? Need to find some of these for him to try on when we are in Florida (Ft. Lauderdale) in a couple months. Thanks.

Actually I have found a good fitting mask. It is called IST M45 Oversized mask. You can find it here:
IST Sports!!-M-45
I bought here in Amsterdam, I found this shop in the US you can try:
Oversized vision tempered glass diving mask - Black Silicone - IST - Dive Mask - Scuba diving - Seavenger.com

Fortunately, contrary to some other large masks, the volume of this mask is still managable. You can clear it in 1 breath. However it is not as nice as my previous frameless mask which purged in 1/3 ~ 1/2 breath.

So if you are doing GUE Fundamental course (changing masks from your pocket) you want to monitor your bouyancy during mask change as you will lose quiet some air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom