Why you pee more when you dive.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottitheduck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just a sample from a DAN article......

Follow the link below for the full article

immersion diuresis and occurs whenever the body is emerged in water. Immersion, along with a water temperature that is colder than air, causes narrowing of the blood vessels in the extremities. This vasoconstriction occurs primarily in the skin and superficial tissues of the body as well as in the muscles of the arms and legs. The result: An increased volume of blood is sent to the central organs of the body such as the heart, lungs and large internal blood vessels.
The hormone that controls the production of urine by the kidneys is called antidiuretic hormone (ADH). It controls when and how much urine your kidneys make. The increased blood volume to the major vessels is interpreted by your body as a fluid overload. This overload causes ADH production to stop, which in turn allows the kidneys to immediately produce urine to lower the centrally circulating blood volume - the body's automatic response to preserve blood volume.

DAN Divers Alert Network

This is only partly true.

The additional and in fact more important factor is the effect of changes in transthoracic pressure , (pressures across the chest and therefore the heart),experienced during submersion. This increases transcardiac pressures,( or pressures across the heart chambers) and culminates in the release of atrial natriuretic peptide. A hormone which promotes diuresis or water excretion. This hormone is sensitive to pressure changes within the heart, which the heart interprets as being due to increased fluid within the body.

Wow...that is a long way of saying "The water's cold, so it makes you wanna go." I mean, we all did the hand-in-the-cup of water to our sleeping babbysitters while we were in second grade, right??
LOL, just having my own fun with it.

Peace,
Greg

The cure is for everyone to wear a dry suit. Then stay out of that divers way once out of the water 'cause they (at least me and my friends) fly out of that suit at warp speed.

so how many of you pee in your wet suit? ive been told there are 2 types of divers that dive in wet suits. those who pee in their suits and those who lie about it. ive only had a hand full of short dives and have been able to hold it till i get out.

You calling yourself a liar?

no, i just havent had to go bad enough yet, if and when i do ill admit it, then i dont have to lend it out, no one will want it...... funny though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom