Why won't Dive Operators use DAN Dive Tags? They're FREE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Aquanuts in Key Largo used to, but they didn't when I dived with them last month. They once had a captain leave a couple behind, and they had to climb the Molasses Reef buoy for the nights if I have this right. The captain was quickly gone, and the operation - to live down that accident - became the best about security, until now.

I've seen the tags on a couple of other boats, but they were not being used. Hardly any of the boats I've been on have them - even though they are furnished at no charge. What's the problem...?

BTW: I haven't seen this lately, so: If ever lost at sea, not only does the diver need to have a Safety Sausage, etc., but drop your weights so you'll float higher!

I have never been on a boat that took a roll call other than...."Every one here?"

Think I would hang onto my weights in case I had to dive so as not to
get run over. Yep the odds are low....but so is the odds on getting left....if one can
happen...so can the other. Besides...unless you have a leak in your bcd
there really isnt a need to drop them IMHO> Its like carpentry....you can
always cut off more....but once gone...you cant put it back on .

Our boats use the DAN tags here. They also do two head-counts to ensure all the divers are on board... I'm on the boats at least once a week, and I have NEVER seen them slack off on these procedures.

I just assumed all operations were run this way.

It's an enforcement issue. Tags are no better than any other system if a diver jumps in without taking the tag - and they do... not on purpose - it just happens.
The level of effort to make the tag system work is the same level of effort to make any other check-out/check-in system work.
You just have to do it.
Religiously.
Without exception.
Rick

IslandHopper:
Our boats use the DAN tags here. They also do two head-counts to ensure all the divers are on board... I'm on the boats at least once a week, and I have NEVER seen them slack off on these procedures.

I just assumed all operations were run this way.

Gawd, I wish!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom