Why we dive with a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJScubaDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I started diving in New Jersey in 2005. Since then I've expanded my diving career to include various global destinations such as the ripping currents of Cocos Island, picturesque reefs in Bonaire, turn of the century shipwrecks in the St. Lawrence, and the victims of WWII in North Carolina.

During my early days of NJ diving I was introduced to the concept of a "pony bottle." Basically this was an independent air source (30cuft at the time) that I would have available in the event that the proverbial poo really hit the fan. Most of the time in Jersey it's a limited visibility situation where a free ascent on a reel is necessary should you lose the anchor line. This alternative air source, I was instructed at the time, was my "buddy" should I be separated from my actual buddy and enter an OOA situation.

I should probably mention at this point that I'm a product of PADI's OW instruction, circa 2005. Whatever standards they were teaching at the time, I learned them. The reason I mention this, is that the concept of a Pony Bottle was really only a requirement of my selected diving demographic. I'm not sure there is a dive boat in NJ that will let you sail without the pony bottle. Most divers I've seen like to have an extra large reserve of gas.

This extra large reserve of gas brings me to the point of this post. In 216 or so logged dives I can count the number of times I've needed to use my pony bottle as a means to making a safe ascent. That number is zero. I'm not attempting at promoting my status as some sort of be all, know all, master diver. What I am praising however, is the level of "security" the pony bottle provided for me while I was a newbie diver with an empty bag of experience relying on a full back of luck. The pony bottle was my proverbial "safety blanket" and offered me a level of almost sub conscious comfort that allowed me to develop other essential scuba skills such as buoyancy without having the looming dread of some OOA situation that I feel is common amongst any new diver.

By diving with the Pony Bottle as an independent air source I've never had to question or second guess my potential self rescue scenario. I've built a confidence depending on myself rather than a buddy that may or may not be available to assist me.

I'm not suggesting that the Pony Bottle be a necessity on every dive. As I mentioned I've visited various destination worldwide, and to be honest I feel the pony would be more of a hindrance than a helper. In Cocos the current was ripping so bad I though half my back was going to get torn off, the pony bottle acting as an underwater sail.

Ripping current aside, diving with a pony bottle, and developing my other skills have allowed me to become very sufficient at keeping myself alive underwater. If nothing more than it deflating the effect of a panic stricken novice, it has made me a better diver.

I recently took some technical diving courses, and there was a lot of emphasis on "self sufficiency" that I had otherwise not encountered in my recreational scuba courses. While the buddy system is applicable in most situations, I still feel a developing self sufficiency amongst divers is paramount to an overall feeling of comfort in the water, and it should be reinforced more so than it is now.

I offer these as random thoughts on a boring evening after really getting amped about diving again. Please feel free to comment and discuss, while offering your own outlooks on the topics I've introduced!

Last edited:
If a new diver needs a pony bottle as a security blanket then I have a concern with training or their selection of dives being beyond their training. I really don't see where it helps develop anything except pony handling skills.

It's a hardware solution to a breakdown in the buddy system, gas planning or equipment failure. They absolutely have their place where risk needs to be managed. That being said I can appreciate your fondness for the redundancy and you paint a picture others would be wise to consider. In the end I think a diver without redundant air is more common and obviously a bigger risk. I think there are plenty of divers who due to arrogance, lack of awareness or frugality are diving without redundancy when perhaps they should. The right gear for the right dive.

Pete

Last edited:
Looming dread of an OOA situation? Can't say I ever felt that, even though, as a relatively new diver, I had a freeflow event that emptied my tank. But it was really a non-event, because I had two buddies right at hand with lots of gas and an easy way to share it.

A pony bottle gave you a warm fuzzy feeling as a new diver. Training in situational awareness and gas sharing, and diving with people who had the same training, did the same for me. I think you have to find a solution to potential problems that suits your temperament. Carrying extra gas, however, does not bring with it the additional benefits of careful gas planning and monitoring, and good buddy skills, that come with the way I was trained.

I was a fairly new diver and was sorta "pony-curious", so I was in my LDS and asked my buddy working there, "So what's the deal with pony bottles?" And I got into all the stuff on redundancy, etc.

He just looked at me and said, "if you want two tanks, why not just dive doubles?"

I didn't have a good answer. Or any answer really.

I view my pony bottle as a form of insurance. Its just like auto or home insurance, I have it but don't think about it unless I need to use it.

Well thats not all true, I think about my auto insurance every time it comes time to pay the bill.

It is much better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

On vacation dives I bring it with because I don't trust the insta buddy to be there.

At home I bring it for practice.

I have yet to use my pony, but have had (2) divers use it.

Jim Breslin

Reactions: Jax
I too dive with a pony - one of the requirements of "solo diving". I have never had to use it.

Once I was paired with an "insta-buddy" - he had a re-breather and quickly lost me as he dropped into the darkness. I surfaced and the boat captain said that since I equipped/experienced as a solo-diver I could continue solo if I wished. It was the best dive of the trip!!!

Yesterday, I experience my first equipment failure - ever. My octo began free-flowing. I didn't freak-out as I had a number of options. I could surface, since I was only at 30ft depth on a jetty-dive, but really didn't want to - also there were current and winds above that I could negotiate, if necessary, but I really wanted to stay down longer. Having the pony gave me some security. What I did was turn around, breath from my octo, watched my air carefully, and decreased my depth between 20 to 15 feet - still seeing stuff/fish/etc and staying out of the wind/surface currents. I did not have to use my pony and surfaced at my flag with 500psi.

Speaking of redundancy, when I got to my truck I pulled out my spare reg set, hooked it up to my 2nd tank and went back out. Two beautiful dives!!!

P.S. I actually carry (in my truck :) ) 2 spare regs, spare fins, spare BCD, spare wetsuit, spare masks, spare weights, and a number of extra tanks. When I drive a hour or more to a dive-site, I want to dive!!!

All my dives have been solo, or supervisory, and I would not hesitate
swimming past a stumbled upon OOA depth of perception challenged
diver, if there was the slightest risk, to my charge, certainly if I knew
that the diver was so jaded, so as to imagine that the human psyche
would slurp every last drop from a bottle then go to the next one, all
of which apparently is able be remedied by training except carrying a
pony

I know, I will get "trained" to be reliant on something that is not attached to me
in a medium that is endless and unpredictably difficult to move and see through

HOW RIDICULOUS

We dive wih a Pony bottle Aluminum 40, My G/F really likes carrying it makes her feel more relaxed just knowing if something should happen she has another bottle right there waiting. Once she started carrying her Pony/Doubles her SAC rate actually got a lot better as she was diving more relaxed. We have not yet in our 30ish dives of having it had to use it, We do occasionally on a platform practice using it and switching it and handing it off to each other just for practice measure's but never ran into a situation where we needed it. But there is definetly nothing wrong with having or carrying a redundant air source better to come prepared. We aerre trained properlly and dive correctly this is something just add's to piece of mind. There is some accidents that have happened where an OOA diver got seriously hurt and having this could have minimized or stopped the issue. So I vote for bringing one.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom