Why use a strobe - DC600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh even at 100 ft, if the vis is good and you'r get close, you can get some shots from your camera without the strobe. I won't go without both camea and strobe both usually, any dive - except for hard currents, then I may leave the strobe behind. That's me.

I still don't know how experienced you are or how confident you feel in your dive skills otherwise.

I I don't even take my camera if I'm planning on going below 40' since I don't have a strobe. I've taken a few shots below 40' w/o the strobe and they are just awful no matter how good the vis is.
...you are probably missing out on some photo opportunities then...if you just use the on-board flash (assuming it is not masked by your housing), then you have to shoot close (really close) - but then you get just as good results, e.g. with a strobe you may get nice colors upto 3 or 4 feet away, on board flash gives good colrs 1-2 ft away.

or you use that WB voodoo if your camera supports it (although I'm not a fan of the colors when that is done, so i don't do it...although some peolpe get nice results with it)

[apologies: i dont use a sea life, but the priciple is the same]
[apology 2: wow - must be getting slow in my old age - beaten to the punch by DandyDon !]

Stu! Where the heck are you?

We need to get some bottom time at VB, or over in PB

I'm strictly a recreational diver so far about to start DMC. I don't even take my camera if I'm planning on going below 40' since I don't have a strobe. I've taken a few shots below 40' w/o the strobe and they are just awful no matter how good the vis is.

I do a little color correction in PS. Levels, brightness, contrast & saturation. Is that what you mean?

I use my camera all the time lower than 40'. The color isn't great but I still want to get pics of the dive. I hate diving without a camera, you always see cool stuff when you don't have it.

I also use a photo editing program but the pics still come out pretty good without it.

Here are some at 50' take in Desecheo, Puerto Rico.

Very nice shots...

With a strobe (and diffuser) on the second shot, all the colors would have come out. When I dive deeper wrecks, I'm often amazed at the colors that I didn't see until I looked at the picture :)

Thanks.

Thats why I want to get a strobe and a diffuser.

Here's another reason... lol

My current avatar is a picture of "Baby". Baby is a well known green moray on a dive in Pompano Beach, Fl. called "The Aqua Zoo" or, The Sea Emperor (actual wreck name). Baby used to be hand fed, and is not afraid of divers. This particular day, I did not use the diffuser, but left it dangling from my rig... Baby thought it was interesting and continued to move closer for a better look... there were times I had to actually push Baby away with my camera (OK, I'm sure he thought it might be food...), which gave me ample time to shoot numerous images of Baby coming at me...

Of course, there was a time during this dive when I turned to my dive buddy to signal, and I felt Baby wrapping around my leg... But, that's another story...

Well, that all depends... are you native, or resident of Puerto Rico... :)

I do have the "cock fight" story... always brings lil'Castaway to tears (laughing) to this day!

So how do you know when to use the diffuser and when to take it off - or do I need to study my book more...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom