Why use a strobe - DC600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This photo stuff is new to me, what's the difference between the Sealife analog and digital strobes?

The SL960 External Flash is a great starter flash, but always fires at the same power. The new SL961 Digital Pro Flash gives you the ability manually fine-tune flash brightness for desired effect and image exposure. It also features an auto mode which automatically adjusts flash brightness for optimal image exposure.

The SL960 External Flash is a great starter flash, but always fires at the same power. The new SL961 Digital Pro Flash gives you the ability manually fine-tune flash brightness for desired effect and image exposure. It also features an auto mode which automatically adjusts flash brightness for optimal image exposure.

Does the auto mode actually work? Has it been tested?

Of course it works :)

When the external flash fires the light sensor located in the front of the flash will instantly measure the light reflecting from the subject. If it senses too much light, it will quickly stop the flash and prevent the image from being over-exposed. There are 4 possible Auto mode settings. settings. One of the four settings will be best depending on your camera type. The #1 setting will result in slightly less powerful flash brightness and #4 will result in a more powerful flash brightness. Set the Auto mode switch to the “1” position for all SeaLife cameras.

background or if youre a photoshop wizz you may be able to do something nice!)
- or maybe try using the manual white balancing at depth (essentially at whatever depth, set the white balance to tell the camera how to interpret the colours) - then reset if you change depth again. People usually re-set the white balance every 10ft or so. I think in Alcina's signature line there is a link to white balancing, or maybe someone with a Sealife can give you sepcific steps and recommendations to do it - (and perhaps post some examples)....seems like an idea for a new thread in the new forum :D

Stu, yes I need a lot of practice :D! That's why I'm debating if I should buy the strobe or not, the last thing I want to do is spend an entire dive fuzzing around with a camera. I've been pretty happy with the shallower pics. I had a few posted on the sealife website.

But didn't you see my pics. Im my opinion they have some pretty good color. So why not show that?

prskate2, I did see your pics. I'm pretty fortunate to live in S. FLA so sea escapes like that I can find in water shallow enough to shoot w/o a strobe and get decent colors. Here's a couple w/o retouching them:

Thanks for the info Denise!

Nothing, I repeat nothing you do will improve your pictures more than a strobe! Period! Snap shots that people go "Nice" maybe not, but you want people to know what the picture is, buy a strobe and learn to use it!

Nothing, I repeat nothing you do will improve your pictures more than a strobe! Period! Snap shots that people go "Nice" maybe not, but you want people to know what the picture is, buy a strobe and learn to use it!

Agreed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom