Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it was somehow proved to me that an AI hoseless computer was as or more reliable than basic analog gear I would consider it. For a modern minimalist such as me it actually makes sense in equipment minimization considering that I could have all my info in one spot on my left wrist including compass, no HP hose, and just one single second stage coming off my first stage. Since I'm using a wing less and less these days the LP hose would be gone too. That to me would be about as minimal as it gets.
I just don't know if I'm ready to step off into total computer reliance quite yet.
The money thing is second. I'm the type that if something is very expensive but I need it I will get it.
I'm this way with specialty tools for my line of work.

See, I'm coming around.

If it was somehow proved to me that an AI hoseless computer was as or more reliable than basic analog gear I would consider it.

Your failure points are hoses and the pressure sensor in both setups. Wireless AI also has 2 batteries and NFC link subject to interference or deliberate jamming. In theory if the likelyhood of the failure of the analog pressure sensor is greater than that for the batteries, comm link, and the digital sensor put together... In practice I expect there isn't enough documented failures on both sides for any meaningful statistics.

Your failure points are hoses and the pressure sensor in both setups. Wireless AI also has 2 batteries and NFC link subject to interference or deliberate jamming. In theory if the likelyhood of the failure of the analog pressure sensor is greater than that for the batteries, comm link, and the digital sensor put together... In practice I expect there isn't enough documented failures on both sides for any meaningful statistics.

The failure points in AI are too many to count. Every electronic component in the AI is a potential failure, as well as the software itself. I see these kind of things fail every night at work during testing. High tech has a long way to go before it's ready for diving.

I used one (Oceanic VT4) for about a year, but gave it to my daughter after she got open water certified. To be honest, I kind of used her getting certified and needing gear as an excuse to buy myself a new regulator and eventually a new Petrel computer. The transmitter looked vulnerable as a lifting point, and I always wondered if the Deckhands/DM’s would twist it by mistake when confirming my tank valve is open during the walk back to the swim platform. Because of my 50 year old eyes, I had to remove the protective cover just to see the readings under all but the best conditions. My daughter really likes the computer, and we are set for gear for a little while! I’m personally sticking with a standard pressure gauge and my awesome Petrel 2!!!

Why can't we all show some maturity like the free divers do. You never see them arguing about air integrated computers.

Why can't we all show some maturity like the free divers do. You never see them arguing about air integrated computers.
I've never heard any talking about dry suit leaks either. Hmm.

The failure points in AI are too many to count. Every electronic component in the AI is a potential failure, as well as the software itself. I see these kind of things fail every night at work during testing. High tech has a long way to go before it's ready for diving.

I'm assuming you dive tables and wheel because a non-AI DC is a high tech electronic device with the same failure points as the AI one, sans the pressure sensor and bluetooth. That's your choice and I'm sure it's appropriate for the kind of diving you do.

Generic Scubaboard Thread:

OP: I'm in the market for X, and I'm trying to decide between A and B. Anyone have an opinion?

Poster 1: A is better, because [rationale]

Poster 2: B is better, because [rationale]

Poster 3: It's a PERSONAL PREFERENCE people! The OP should use both and decide.

Poster 4: I don't like A. Who the hell do you think that you are telling me that I'm an idiot if I use A?

Poster 5: I can't believe that you people are arguing about this. Why on earth are you wasting time here instead of diving??

Poster 6: Hey, OP, have you considered C? Because [rationale]

Poster 7: THE OP DIDN'T ASK ABOUT C!!!!

No, it's more like this.

OP: I am looking for advice on a computer.

Post 2: Buy a Petral, there is no other computer

Post 3: But it isn't AI, I want AI

Poster 4: If you buy anything but a Petral, you are buying a piece of crap and AI is only sold as a point of failure and while you're at it, buy a BP/W. You aren't a real diver if you buy anything else. PADI sucks.

Post 5: Repeats poster #2

Post 6: Repeats poster #3

Repeat X times

Post 115: Should I buy the big spare air or the litle one?

:D:D:D:D

It's fun, not a something to get your shorts in a knot over.

Or more like this:

Op: why don't you like x

Posters 1: [rationale]

Posters 2: I disagree with poster 1 because [rationale]

Repeat until thread turns into this lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom