Why the Cancun Bag Drag still makes sense.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rates do vary over time but the SW into Cancun is always less, and sometimes greatly less than United into Cozumel. I did a check this morning and found there to be $309 per person difference. (United $609 and SW $271) Add a $40 bus and $24 ferry R/T that means each person saves over $200 at least. Again there are times when that changes but check for your vacation time and maybe adjust it to save the most.

I still take the ferries most times as I fly a to out of Cancun to Houston on the cheap at $94 each way airfare.

Happy Travels

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS The Playa Consulate closing was only because their one employee lives in Cozumel and is barred form taking ferries for now.

Where are you getting $40 for the ADO? Currently the price is $190 MX which is roughly $10 US. If it's for two people then it would be about $40 US round trip. If you pay with US dollars it's a couple of bucks more. I suspect there are no $85 peso ferry fares right now :wink: I don't know the exact, current price but I seem to recall about $165 MX which is about $8.60 US. I'm just saying this because I think it's even less that you stated and the difference over flying directly into CZM is even greater than what you said. I'm waiting for the Burrito Wars so Crazy King and Gorditos will get their prices back down to $80 pesos. I guess that won't happen unless the cruise ships stop coming.

SWINE FLU - there was never a single reported case here and the threat originated elsewhere - not even in Mexico - but it was all over the US - and conveniently, it was this same time of year - Spring Break!

SWINE FLU scare as it related to travel here was 100% false news

The CDC here (USA) advises travelers to such places as Central America to get vaccinated against Hepatitis A. There is currently a big epidemic in San Diego. They are no longer calling it an "emergency." I suppose the Chamber of Commerce in San Diego had something to do with that (just a guess, of course). I can't find any travel advisories for San Diego or California. All this seems kinda one-sided to me.

If my livelihood was on Cozumel, I would probably be very defensive concerning bad publicity too.

If my livelihood was on Cozumel, I would probably be very defensive concerning bad publicity too.

Understandable, but I think it is counterproductive.

First, I think a lot are like myself in that I feel safer in knowing all there is to know, good or bad, than "blissful ignorance" or where info is suppressed. If I have to wonder about what they're not telling me, it's almost certainly going to be worse than what they actually aren't telling me.

Second, you are never ever not forever going to convince someone who is fearful of Mexico that it is safe by simply declaring that it is safe or that you feel safe. Declarations that "it is safer than <insert US city>" are not going to work. Not when, from outside appearances, it seems the locals and officials just want to dismiss it and move on. It will take action, like the news yesterday that teams of federal police and bomb-sniffing dogs are being deployed for ferry security.

Mexico has proven that it can let the situation get out of control, as in Acapulco and other parts. Now it needs to prove that it can keep a situation in control.

Understandable, but I think it is counterproductive.

First, I think a lot are like myself in that I feel safer in knowing all there is to know, good or bad, than "blissful ignorance" or where info is suppressed. If I have to wonder about what they're not telling me, it's almost certainly going to be worse than what they actually aren't telling me.

Second, you are never ever not forever going to convince someone who is fearful of Mexico that it is safe by simply declaring that it is safe or that you feel safe. Declarations that "it is safer than <insert US city>" are not going to work. Not when, from outside appearances, it seems the locals and officials just want to dismiss it and move on. It will take action, like the news yesterday that teams of federal police and bomb-sniffing dogs are being deployed for ferry security.

Mexico has proven that it can let the situation get out of control, as in Acapulco and other parts. Now it needs to prove that it can keep a situation in control.

I was not defending the position, simply stating I understood the perspective.

Would someone like a summary from one who has no concern about business?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Where are you getting $40 for the ADO? Currently the price is $190 MX which is roughly $10 US. If it's for two people then it would be about $40 US round trip. If you pay with US dollars it's a couple of bucks more. I suspect there are no $85 peso ferry fares right now :wink: I don't know the exact, current price but I seem to recall about $165 MX which is about $8.60 US. I'm just saying this because I think it's even less that you stated and the difference over flying directly into CZM is even greater than what you said. I'm waiting for the Burrito Wars so Crazy King and Gorditos will get their prices back down to $80 pesos. I guess that won't happen unless the cruise ships stop coming.

I was just trying to be pessimistic on the high side. I did not want to get painted as a cheerleader for the Bag Drag. I just feel it is a better choice for many people.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

As far as Dave's initial post about doing the bag drag, we just prefer not too. Back when I was in my 20's and 30's I would have for sure. Now? Dragging 3 - 50+lb suitcases and 3 heavy carry-ons? No way. It would be more convenient time wise, seeing I can get a non-stop from LAX to CUN and be in Coz the same day. Now, we make it a 2 day trek, fly from smaller John Wayne airport to IAH, stay the night in a near by hotel, then fly to Coz the next morning.

While we now spend an extra day getting there, it is much easier on me. The thought of the whole ADO, ferry ordeal just really turns me off at this point in my life.

Cancun is non-stop from Baltimore. I can't get to Coz any faster than through Cancun! Changing planes would make for longer travel times.

Plus, where would you prefer to be stuck if there's something that grounds a flight? If you can get a non-stop to CUN, then you're either in Mexico or home.

For us, there's an airport an hour's drive away with almost-reasonable fees for very nearby covered parking from which we can get a connecting flight to CZM. Alternatively, we can drive 2 hours to Logan in Boston and pay huge amounts to park and still hike a mile to the gate (or pay merely large amounts to park at distant economy parking and take a bus). Even then there are very few nonstop flights which are fairly expensive (none on Southwest, for example). For me, that's at least equivalent to the bag drag in time and hassle, and significantly more in terms of cost.

Wife is going in April. She will only be in playa like 20 minutes walking down and getting on a ferry. Unless the schedule has that 2 hour gap again with BC ot running.

There are worse things than having a beverage or snack at Sr. Frog's while looking longingly across the water while waiting for a ferry, right?

My personal opinion, as someone for whom this sadly isn't really applicable, is that a non-stop flight from a convenient airport to CUN with the bag drag (or MAYAir) beats a connecting flight to CZM from the same airport for up to $150-200 more. Nonstop to CZM, if it's an option, beats almost anything if you can get it.

Back
Top Bottom