Why So Shy in the Panhandle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
I find this somewhat worrisome. What deep wrecks does he visit near PCB? And have you been out with this Captain on this boat?

What do you find worrisome? the fact he doesn't have a head or something else?

btw... I know people that have used the KillFish before and they were very happy with his operation. Folks will use him because he will go where the divers want to go instead of the first wreck out of port like some of the operators do.

An example of operators not doing this would be this. My LDS did a trip with PCDC a couple weeks ago and both days they hit the first wrecks right outside of port in PC. (the black bart and hathway bridge span, 2 days in a row). While it was still a good trip, they need to run their operation better so they can do more than the same sites over and over.

also... I really got a laugh at parts of this thread.

Kracken: Actually, the crew has to hold Bug Man over the transom so he can relieve himself. Otherwise he'd just make a mess!

Wayward Son: I prefer to dump the sea pickle before I get on the boat so it's not an issue.

Bugman: predive dump keeps the turtleheads away.

I'm afraid to ask what a Turtle-head is. :)

See Austin Powers for info on 'turtle-head', its probably in the urbandictionary as well.

Well, we wanted to go offshore saturday & had no problem doing so. The captain simply wanted enough divers willing to pay for an offshore trip. We hit stage 1 first, then ran over to the Akokee where I had an interesting time with a couple of 7' bull sharks at the end of my dive. Viz was great, 50 feet or so, water warm, only thing it needed was more big fish. All the AJ's were short, ditto grouper. The bulls were legal :D

Agreed,

I also went offshore Saturday, doing the FAMI tugs and then one of the bridge spans on the way back end (not what I wanted to do). What operator did you go out with Wayward Son? Several asked to do Accokeek or Chippewa, but the FAMI Tugs were a really nice dive.

What I hate about the big operators in PC nowadays is that the divers get on the boat, the captain ask them where they want to go, and then says, no, can't do that one . . . this is where we'll go.

Really ticks me off !!!!

the K

Thanks for the info. How was the boat? It had been MANY years since I went boat diving, and there were a number of things that didn't register with me. I REALLY disliked how little enclosed space there was. Everything and everyone got sprayed with salt water all trip. Maybe that's fun for some, but when I want to get dry, I REALLY want to get dry. Only place to do that on this boat was the captains chair.

I ended up coming back in with a towel draped over my head trying to avoid the saltspray. Not the best thing when you're in 3ft chop! :)

The Kraken:
What I hate about the big operators in PC nowadays is that the divers get on the boat, the captain ask them where they want to go, and then says, no, can't do that one . . . this is where we'll go.

Really ticks me off !!!!

the K

I'd be MUCH happier if they simply posted a schedule per month of the dive charters they are going to run. Then I could book the dive *I* wanted. Taking a vote on the boat really sucks. In our case, it worked out, but I could see this being a Charlie Foxtrot.

What bothers me even MORE is getting to the offshore site, then pulling anchor, and heading BACK in to do some piddly dive. Give me TWO offshore dives if I'm paying you for it. You've already used the gas...

PerroneFord:

The Empire Mica is by far the greatest wreck dive in the Gulf of Mexico. This is an advanced 3 tank dive and is an all day trip.

EMPIRE MICA trips...You must have a computer to make three dives!

This boat has everything but a head.

General Information

All trips include ice, soda's, water, fishing licence (fishing trips include all gear and bait)
No glass bottles
All three tank trips require a computer
No double tanks except on tech trips.
No gas mix over 36% except on tech trips

- killfishcharters.com

I find this somewhat worrisome. What deep wrecks does he visit near PCB? And have you been out with this Captain on this boat?
Capt. Eric runs a good op...the Killfish is as big a trailered boat can be, and be legal...therefore he can actually meet you anywhere in the panhandle if need be...he only does singles as he dosen't want his ladder torn off...but he allows deco if you want/need it...we have a party of four going out with him to the Mica this coming weekend....to me four is plenty on the boat as he and a mate are also on board...as far as whizzing goes well thats the way it is...
Yarg

Sea Hunter is a smaller boat, basically a 6 pack. If you're in the back you'll get wet. You can stay dry by staying up in the cabin. Jim has a new 250HP E-Tec on her & he loves to run that engine, so don't expect the ride to respect tender bottoms. It does get you around quickly though.

I was hot enough saturday that I rather enjoyed some spray during the ride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom