Why so many visitors and not members?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDSC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I didn't know where else to put this so move it if it needs to be.

A lot of times when I log in to ScubaBoard, I'll scroll down to see how many people are on the site. I guess I'm just curious. It seems every time I check, there are way more visitors than members. It usually seems to run 3 to 1 in favor of the visitors. It's been a few years but when I joined, it only took a few minutes to do so and it doesn't cost a dime and you don't get flooded with any type of spam from it.

I know there are a lot of members here already and I'm sure a lot of visitors checking the site out isn't a bad thing, but I just think it would be nice if more of the visitors would join. I guess a lot of people just prefer to stay on the sideline and read and learn but I think they would get a lot more out of it if they would contribute as well.

"Visitors" would also include anyone who is a member, but is surfing the site without being logged in.

"Visitors" would also include anyone who is a member, but is surfing the site without being logged in.

Didn't know that. I think I am set-up so whenever I go to this site I am logged in. I just thought that was the way it was for everyone.

RJP has a point.(not a big one) but OK.:D

There are a lot of bots visiting us,that's what you get when your so big.:D

And we do have a lot of LURKERS,we do try to get them out of hiding but some won't.

SO IF YOU ARE STILL LURKING.
STOP IT AND PLEASE JOIN.

WE NEED YOU AND WE WANT YOU.

:D :D :D

I suspect it's the same on pretty much any board out there, lots more guests than members. People like to read stuff without having to register, and won't register until they really want to post and have to, or decide there's some more benefit than hassle for them. And I think that's fine. I know if I registered everyplace I have gone and read something I'd be registered an even crazier number of places than I already am.

Besides, those people are probably actually "doing a search" and finding what they need, how about that. :wink:

I suspect it's the same on pretty much any board out there, lots more guests than members. People like to read stuff without having to register, and won't register until they really want to post and have to, or decide there's some more benefit than hassle for them. And I think that's fine. I know if I registered everyplace I have gone and read something I'd be registered an even crazier number of places than I already am.

Besides, those people are probably actually "doing a search" and finding what they need, how about that. :wink:

Now that I think about it, it's because I wanted to ask a question is the reason I signed up. I probably lurked around awhile myself.

In so many cases people won't join a board because they're afraid of all of the spam that comes along with it.

Unfortunately, the visitors don't take the time to read that ScubaBoard does not allow it's database of users to be used as such.

Sad . . . but that's the face of the internet world.

the K-an't Say How Sorry I am that They're Not Here

On a local board I frequent (small user base and limited public interest, so not probably not a huge number of casual visitors), we've come to believe that it's fairly common for registered members not to bother logging in until they actually want to post, especially if using work computers or sharing them at home. Since post-to-visit ratio is fairly low, that makes for a lot of anonymous visits, relatively speaking.

In so many cases people won't join a board because they're afraid of all of the spam that comes along with it.

I bet that has a lot to do with it.

You know how if you go for a period of time and don't make a post, you get this message saying something like, "It's been awhile since you made a post, so why not make one." (Or something like that) It's obvious that the software recognizes this and you get the message. So I was wondering if there was a way the software could recognize a visitor from a member and say something like, "Thanks for taking the time to visit ScubaBoard. Why not take a moment and register and become a member! We'd love to have you!" If you were a member but not logged in, you'd just ignore it.

I don't know much about software or if that could be done. It was just a thought on my part.

So I was wondering if there was a way the software could recognize a visitor from a member and say something like, "Thanks for taking the time to visit ScubaBoard. Why not take a moment and register and become a member! We'd love to have you!" If you were a member but not logged in, you'd just ignore it.
it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom