Why shoot stills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeachJunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I love photography, but my skills are still rather lacking. I also love watching/making movies. With the high number of frames in a video, and the ability to take one out as a single still (with some programs), is it really worth it for me to invest in a still UW camera? Or should I just throw the extra couple bucks into a decent UW video setup and get the best of both worlds? What are the advantages/disadvantages to using a still camera? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I'm in the process of planning a dive trip and would love to document it. Thanks!

BeachJunkie

Even HD video is only 1920x1080 at maximum, that is only ~2MP. Some camcorders have higher res "snapshot" functions, but that isn't a frame captured out of video format...its just using an internal digital camera mode in the camcorder.

Unfortunately, if you want video you shoot video. If you want still frame you shoot still frame. As for why, I don't like being nauseous or make others puke. Most home camcorder video isn't worth sharing :wink:

The resolution (total number of pixels) of each frame in Standard Definition video is a maximum of 720x540 pixels. This is dependent on the format you shoot, so for instance mini-DV will be 720x486 pixels per frame. DV-CAM will shoot the same pixel resolution, but each frame will have less compression applied.

Newer still digicams have much higher resolution than that. For instance a Canon PowerShot G9 has a max resolution of 4000x3000 pixels.

So while it's possible to pull a still off video and make a "picture" that will look decent in small size on say a web page, it takes quite a bit of "magic" to make a print of that file look even half decent in say a 4"x6" format. And no matter what "magic" you apply, such a print will never have the level of detail and clarity that a high-pixel-count still shot will.

So I guess it's a question of what kind of compromise you're willing to live with :)

Of course, the video function of newer digital still cameras is supposedly getting better - I don't have much personal experience with that though. The G9 for instance will shoot 1024x768 pixel video, but only at 15 frames per second. For full motion, 30 frames per second video, the best a G9 will do is 640x480 pixel video. I don't know if the housing for these digicams will allow you to switch between still and video while you're under water, but *if* it's possible, then you would be able to shoot high res stills as well as video in a quality that you may find acceptable.

Hope this helps.

Henrik
(edited for clarity and accuracy)

Other than the "techy" side - shooting video well is a different skill set than shooting stills well. Some skills overlap but each has its share of unique skills, too.

Which do you like better? Have you tried both? Who do you want to share with and what do they like better?

I've shot both and loved shooting both. Currently I am shooting stills again and have no plans to return to video. Sharing my stills is easier for me and for my friends/family. I'd personally go with a compact camera that could take good video...most people in my target audience don't want to sit through more than a couple of minutes of video showing cool action. And if you really adore one or the other then you can add more gear but always have a backup system, too. Win win.

You need to know who you're shooting for. I shoot for myself now and so I've switched to dslr with no video functions. My friends/family don't care what I took the still shots on and although they say they sometimes miss the random video I used to share, I never did enough of that to make it a huge issue. And, frankly, I almost always forgot I even had the video feature on my compacts so most of the video I shared was from a dedicated video system and then the family said that they missed stills!

Is motion of the subject part of the overall effect that you're striving for? If yes shoot video. If no, or the subject is basically stationary shoot stills. During a video shot of a still subject all thats really moving is the camera (unless you're using a tripod). If high resolution/quality of the image is most important stills are the only choice.

And to add to the lighting, with stills a flash or strobe is only needed for a quick burst of light (AA battteries of so) with video you would need a constant source of white light, which uses lots and lots of heavy batteries!

I highly respect those that shoot the great video I see so much great stuff UW during shows like Blue Planet. But stills are a bit different, they have to capture the moment with one shot vs. capturing a period of real time. Still resolution is created by mpix, sensor size, and exposure values. Video resolution is a product of frame rate, media, and media size.

I've seen some great still prints from video cameras, IMAX comes to mind! :D In general they are two different forms of capture, and that is why every big time movie production has a still photographer on site even if they are using 1M+ worth of video equipment.

And to add to the lighting, with stills a flash or strobe is only needed for a quick burst of light (AA battteries of so) with video you would need a constant source of white light, which uses lots and lots of heavy batteries!
I'd have thought that's scarcely a consideration if you're in it for the art.

It's two different art forms.

The best stills contain all the motion and story of a whole movie.
The best movies contain the poignancy and elegance of an encapsulated idea - expressed in motion.

Reality has many sides, depending on how you're looking at it.

The trick is working out how YOU look at it best, and what YOU best can reproduce! :wink:

(edit: Oh....and it's really hard to blow up an excellent video, stick it in a frame, and hang it on the wall!!!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom