Why PADI dive shop was trying to convince me to do PADI eLearning thru them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the instructor needs to be able to track your progress on the Learning website.

Why? It's none of their concern...

Student does ELearning.... gets final report...takes it to dive centre... progresses with in-water training.

They need to see that you are passing the modules,

Why? That's the responsibility of PADI ELearning.

they need to receive the final report

Yes... only this.

So there is a need for you to link to them.

Are you stating that the student has to link to a dive centre? If so, please provide an authoritative reference to this standard from either the instructor manual or the instructions provided to ELearning students from PADI.

Yes, there may be benefits to the student if the dive centre is willing to provide them with assistance with their ELearning.... but the ELearning itself is designed and implemented to a a total solution that requires no external dive-centre participation. A student may link to a dive centre (providing them with commission) and still receive no practical support with that study.... and I suspect this is the case for 99% of students.

If you refer out, they will provide you with documents saying that you have completed the Elearning and pool work so that your receiving instructor knows what you have done.

Misdirective advice. If you do ELearning, you receive a stand-alone document that certifies you have completed theory training. If you then complete your confined water training, then you recieve additional referral documentation that testifies to the progressed training you have achieved. Both of these are essentially stand-alone documents as far as onwards referral is concerned, although the dive centre will spare an inch of ink to sign off your theory section in the referral paperwork... but that ink is technically wasted, as you can prove the theory completion anyway with the ELearning certificate.

The issue is that the Dive Centre gets commission for ELearning that is linked to it. There's no reason why a student wouldn't, or shouldn't, link to a dive centre for that reason.... it's a nice gesture and helps support the local business. That said... there's no cause for deception on the matter.... it doesn't make a toss of difference to the student whether they link or not.

Any dive centre that charged extra because the student failed to link deserves to lose that student.... and they probably would, because there's sure as heck gonna be another dive centre competitor that would accept them without imposing such penalties...

If you stay at home, they will have all the documents that they need to certify you.[/QUOTE]

Devon - in a lot of cases the student is doing Elearning as an alternative to attending a regularly scheduled (several week) course. They don't have time to sit in the class so they Elearn. They are attending the pool sessions and then they may or may not refer out.

So as I view it, they are treated like any other of my students just not sitting in my classroom. All of mine who have referred out, left with the same paperwork that any other student would have left with. I learned a long time ago that instuctors on the other end are unreliable at best and often reject anything they aren't familiar with. Then I'm faxing and emailing the Philippines to help some poor person on vacation who is in a panic because of an instructor who doesn't know his paperwork.

You are right of course, they don't have to link but it can help them and the instructor if they do.

Here's an example - without linking how do I know?
Before Confined Water Dive 1, have student divers
complete either Knowledge Development Session 1

Here's another: Dive 3-4 OK they will have the paperwork but what about the rest?

Dive Prerequisites
Dive 1
Have student divers complete at least one of the following:
Open Water Diver Course
• Discover Scuba Diving briefing and skills practice.*
• Open Water Diver Course Knowledge Development 1
and Confined Water Dive 1.*
• Open Water Diver Course Knowledge Development 1-3
and Confined Water Dives 1-3.

Dive 2
Have student divers complete:
• Open Water Diver Course Knowledge Development 1-3
• Open Water Diver Course Confined Water Dives 1-3

Dives 3-4
Have student divers complete all Open Water Diver Course
Knowledge Development segments and all Confi ned
Water Dives.

I would be darn sure I spoke to my surgeon before I made those plans. I was out of the water for 6 months, although I'm sure my laser surgery was different than yours. I had PRK, which is far more invasive than lasik.

Oh-oh... that serious? Thanks a lot, totally agree, good point, my brother did PRK and he was "out of shape" for a month+, I am doing PRK too, first days of March, for sure I will check with my surgeon before making any travel arrangements. BTW, how did your surgery go, everything's fine? I am a little nervous... :wink:

Oh-oh... that serious? Thanks a lot, totally agree, good point, my brother did PRK and he was "out of shape" for a month+, I am doing PRK too, first days of March, for sure I will check with my surgeon before making any travel arrangements. BTW, how did your surgery go, everything's fine? I am a little nervous... :wink:

Best move I ever made, I did it in Vancouver before it was approved by the FDA in the USA. I did it 15 years ago (1996) when I was 30something, and have recently (age 48) needed reading glasses. I had both eyes done at once as I was living overseas at the time. It's very freaky to have a speculum in your eye. Aside from that, don't move. The recovery was long and scratchy, but you do learn not to rub your eyes, cause you'll mess them up, and it will hurt like hell. Don't forget the drops like they tell you. That's what makes the surgery work.

Best move I ever made, I did it in Vancouver before it was approved by the FDA in the USA. I did it 15 years ago (1996) when I was 30something, and have recently (age 48) needed reading glasses. I had both eyes done at once as I was living overseas at the time. It's very freaky to have a speculum in your eye. Aside from that, don't move. The recovery was long and scratchy, but you do learn not to rub your eyes, cause you'll mess them up, and it will hurt like hell. Don't forget the drops like they tell you. That's what makes the surgery work.

:) Thanks Wookie,
They say it's painful only the first 2-3 days now, I don't care about the pain as long as it's successful, pain is a good sign telling you you still have the eye in place :wink:
But... back to my previous question (somewhere in the middle of this post... lol) the price to do scuba diving somewhere on Caribbean, just for my personal info, how much is it including the gear rent, the boat, time, instructor if there is such, just don't know what are the ingredients of having lets say 1 dive... Any idea how much could it cost approximately, let say in Central America / Caribbean locations? I believe it's gonna be the same more or less anywhere else... just trying to plan my finances here a little bit...

Monstro. Welcome to the board. When someone is teaching you to dive, that is, to survive and thrive in a foreign and potentially hostile environment, do you really want to go with the lowest bidder? This is an expensive sport. If you balk at the initial cost to get certified, how will you feel when it comes time to spend a couple of grand on equipment, or a few thousand on travel.....

The various certifying agencies are all just alphabet soup. It doesn't matter what agency you choose, but choose a shop/instructor you feel comfortable with. Perhaps ask a friend who dives what shop they use and why.

Price should be one of the last considerations when picking an instructor.

I could not agree more. I did not select the cheapest place, I went on an perfect safety record and the recommendation, of everyone I knew. Every person I talked to about it, told me the same place

I am glad I did, when someone teaches you the right way, right from the start, you do not worry when you are faced with something challenging under the water.

Other than actual boating, I cannot think of a more expensive sport, that being said, I cannot think of a more rewarding sport. what other sport, in 45 to 60 mins, can have the profound effect on you, that spending what seems a lifetime in the peace of "big blue"

You cannot register for an eLearning course without choosing a dive center. Independent instructors are not listed, just dive centers.

Log on and try to register without choosing an LDS, it can't be done.

Wow, very active forum here :) Thanks guys.
I have seen lot's of duscussions what is better PADI vs SSI vs... I guess for me as for the beginner it doesn't really matter.
So you all suggest to register for eLearning with the dive shop?
Maybe you can recommend the one that is cheaper, North GTA (Thornhill, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, etc) area, the prices bite omg...

Aquarius SCUBA on Dundas and Royal York had fairly good prices.

When I was certifying with them 4 years ago it was not worth doing elearning as most would not give you much credit and you end up paying more then just taking the class.

If you want I can also give you a contact of an independent instructor in GTA he is a DIR diver but teaches PADI. I have no idea how much he charges but he is a very good and experienced diver. I sometimes see him diving with one ore two students so I believe he can spend enough time with them. He does not make living off the instructing and does it dor fun.

Monstro,

To be precise the Dive Store you register with gets 50% of the e-learning fee. They will as a result of this assist as necessary with any questions you may have concerning the academics, or any thing else you may need help with. They build this commision into the price you pay for a standard e-learning course(meaning one you which dont sit through traditional on site academics). It is a shame that the LDS you spoke to was not clear about their motivations. Registering with a LDS is painless and will start your relationship with them on a positive, mutually benificial note. Beaware that there are usually a couple of other things that you will have to purchase such as dive tables and their associated instructions. Once you have completed the Academics and Confined Water portion of your course your LDS can/will issue you a referal form which is accepted any PADI Dive facility, but of course you will need to pay for the remaining portions of the course (OW Dives)

One resort that I worked at periodically had some people registering using a different LDS This resulted in the student having to make up the 50% commision somewhere else usually a straight $60 now it will probablly be a $65 surcharge but it was explained to them quite openly and honestly.

If for some reason you decide to do your elearning and confined water through another agency, PADI Dive centers are still authorized to accept a referal through other agencies but beware that there will be additional academic and administrative requirements placed on you. ALthough I benifit from receiving referals, I usually think it is better to conduct your whole course on your home turf that way you can simply do a quick SCUBA review, or you may want to work on your bouyancy control when you first arrive at your holiday destination.

Whatever you decide to do I hope you enjoy yourself and become an avid diver.

If you need any additional clarification I would be happy to answer your questions via email or PM.

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited:
Thank you very much Roger !!!
I appreciate u explaining me in such details.
Finally I get the idea :) Cheers.
P.S. Why didn't they provide this simple explanation on PADI website... hm.

jar546, good info, thanks, didnt know that. Meaning there is really only one option left now, which simplifies the decision :)

Back
Top Bottom