Why PADI dive shop was trying to convince me to do PADI eLearning thru them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monstro

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to start diving, first to get PADI cert. I need to do knowledge test (the theory).
And this could be done online on PADI website.
I wen to my local dive shop just to get some information about pool dives.
And they tried to convince me that should let them register me on that same PADI eLearing online course.
I asked why do they want to do that, I can do it myself from home.
They gave mes some weird explanation that often people make mistakes, incorrectly register and bla bla bla... and this eLearning course must be associated with the dive shop.
I have no idea what that means, I went to PADI eLearning website, and it's as simple as it could be, no word about associating with the dive shop.
Any idea why would they say that?
Thanks.

Why do you think? They get commission by being associated with your registration on ELearning.

There's nothing unethical in asking for that - but it'd be more decent if they were more straight about their motives.

Because once you sign up for elearning the LDS has access to check on your progress.PADI pays them to do this for you when you assign them as your LDS choice. The money PADI pays them comes out to about the same as if they sold you traditional crewpack/dvd.
If you assign a different LDS they actually make less money teaching you the course and if something like that occurs too often the only alternative is to raise course prices to make up for the loss. The LDS offering to assist you can be looked at as customer service extended to you to ensure all is done correctly. It may be a bit less expensive for you to do the traditional route of watching the dvd/read book/do homework rather than elearning. Cost of dvd/crewpack comes out to about $95.+ tax..Elearning is something like $120.So with elearning it is all about convience..Still have to do a "quick review quiz of like 20 questions and complete all confined /pool work.Elearning can save alot of time that would have been spent in the classroom IF everyone in class opts to use elearning.
If you have a relative(wife/son/daughter/husband/brother/sister/etc) taking course with you it definitely would be less expensive to do traditional method over elearning as with elearning every student MUST set up a elearning account. With traditional method book/dvd can be shared.

Why do you think? They get commission by being associated with your registration on ELearning.

There's nothing unethical in asking for that - but it'd be more decent if they were more straight about their motives.

Thank you! I thought so. Since I am totally the beginner, I dont know... maybe there was some hidden reason for that... other than the money :)

Sorry, here I dont quite get it - if I learn myself, with books and DVD, someone still has to examine me, I have to do knowledge he test anyways, correct.
And I couldn't find any information who does that and whom do I pay for the test. With eLearning it is understood - everything is online and recorder on PADI website.
And for eLearning I would have to pay 130$.
But if I already have the material from my friend and can learn myself, do I still have to pay? To whom?
Thanks, just trying to understand the system.
Dont quite get it why I have to be connected to a specific LDS and can't do all by myself? Why would I need some LDS to track my progress ??

Dive shop employees are their own worst enemy. Yes, there is no difference to you in price. Yes, the dive shop makes commission when you register them as your dive shop for the course. Yes, they can offer better customer service for you. Yes, they could go a lot farther being honest with you instead of spinning some yarn about how YOU will mess up registering for a class.

Thank you! I thought so. Since I am totally the beginner, I dont know... maybe there was some hidden reason for that... other than the money.

But I can safely do this myself without contacting the dive shop at all, correct?
Once I complete this eLearing, it will be registered under my account on PADI site that I have passed and my score.
And then, I can go to any dive shop to do the Confined water course, right?
Yes,but facility may have to charge additional fee if you did not assign them as your LDS..It comes down to store policy and what kind of margin they base the course on. You do not bring brake pads to a mechanic and ask them to install it for you,why do something like that to a facility that is teaching you to dive?

Wow, very active forum here :) Thanks guys.
I have seen lot's of duscussions what is better PADI vs SSI vs... I guess for me as for the beginner it doesn't really matter.
So you all suggest to register for eLearning with the dive shop?
Maybe you can recommend the one that is cheaper, North GTA (Thornhill, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, etc) area, the prices bite omg...

Dive shop employees are their own worst enemy. Yes, there is no difference to you in price. Yes, the dive shop makes commission when you register them as your dive shop for the course. Yes, they can offer better customer service for you. Yes, they could go a lot farther being honest with you instead of spinning some yarn about how YOU will mess up registering for a class.

Thanks Wookie, you know when they tried to BS me about how I could mess with the registration (I have 15 years web development exp :), instead of being honest, I start to doubt if that's the dive shop I want...

Yes,but facility may have to charge additional fee if you did not assign them as your LDS..It comes down to store policy and what kind of margin they base the course on. You do not bring brake pads to a mechanic and ask them to install it for you,why do something like that to a facility that is teaching you to dive?

Sorry, I didnt get that. Why cant I register on PADI.com website for eLearning myself you say?
How is that related to "You do not bring brake pads to a mechanic and ask them to install it for you" - it's just a theory online course.
What does it have to do with a specific dive shop?

Monstro. Welcome to the board. When someone is teaching you to dive, that is, to survive and thrive in a foreign and potentially hostile environment, do you really want to go with the lowest bidder? This is an expensive sport. If you balk at the initial cost to get certified, how will you feel when it comes time to spend a couple of grand on equipment, or a few thousand on travel.....

The various certifying agencies are all just alphabet soup. It doesn't matter what agency you choose, but choose a shop/instructor you feel comfortable with. Perhaps ask a friend who dives what shop they use and why.

Price should be one of the last considerations when picking an instructor.

Wow, very active forum here :) Thanks guys.
I have seen lot's of duscussions what is better PADI vs SSI vs... I guess for me as for the beginner it doesn't really matter.
So you all suggest to register for eLearning with the dive shop?
Maybe you can recommend the one that is cheaper, North GTA (Thornhill, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, etc) area, the prices bite omg...
do not necessarily go with the "cheaper" as it may cost more in the end..As an example our nearest competitor charges $250. for a OW course. They do not have a pool on site so classroom academic are usually done at their facility then you drive up to 30 minutes to go to off site pool.Very often there is a misunderstanding with pool management and the LDS and there is no access to the pool that night..We charge $269. for course and pool is onsite at our facility and no scheduling issues this way.Need extra pratice and the store does not have their own onsite pool,good luck with getting any extra pratice . Facility with its own onsite indoor heated pool has virtually unlimited access for you. Visit the facility and make your choice then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom