Why not wear a helmet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
On a different thread, I brought up that I was now wearing a helmet while diving. Here's what I said:

That's a good question (about why wear a helmet), and I will start a new thread with this entry. I now use a helmet because in 1973 I was picked up by the US Coast Guard after my buddy and I became stranded off the Oregon coast in 20+ foot waves. We were rolled trying to come ashore on a rocky coast, and stayed in the water well over 3 hours trying to figure out how to get back in, unsuccessfully I might add. I was wearing a white-water kayaker's helmet, and that's what the Coast Guard saw and allowed us to come home that evening (thank goodness our girl friends had called the Coast Guard when we couldn't make it in and the waves had kicked up.

That's the primary reason. Have you noticed that most diving gear presently is dark (blue or black)? Have you tried to find a yellow or intenational orange BC, wet suit, dry suit? We have become invisible to searchers, and as an ex-Pararescueman, I still feel the need to be seen.

A second reason is that in about 1974 I investigated a diving fatality where the diver was trying to make an exit in Newport's Yaquina Bay, on the jetty rocks in waves, was hit by a five foot wave, and knocked into the rocks. He died of drowning, but was knocked unconscious by hitting the rocks after being slammed by the wave.

So, why not wear a helmet?

SeaRat

I actually agree with you on this. Helmets, which were once gaining in popularity in technical diving, have all but disappeared. The only exception that I know of is European cavers.

I'm not really sure why but I suspect part of it is that some very influential people have come out against their use.

WW

well, I can't say why NOT :wink:

I wear one for 2 reasons.

#1, it is bright orange (the only part of my gear that is bright

and

#2, during wreck penetrations, I have, on occasion, misjudged and smacked my head on unforgiving edges.

:wink:

I don't wear one, but I don't dive in areas where they would be needed. If you do, I think you'd be foolish not to wear one.

I personally don't see a need for one. I wouldn't dive anywhere where I stood a good chance of being slammed head first into a rock. As for those who wear helmets with various flashlights mounted on top during cave diving, I don't see how this would be beneficial. A single HID is plenty of light and the helmet is too bulky and is not streamlined.

Speaking of helmet lights, they are hell if you look directly at your buddy. :eek:

As for wearing a helmet, I see no need for it. If scootering in an overhead environment, you should be profecient enough to not hit the ceiling. Without a scooter, you should not even be hitting the ceiling with your head. I have however smacked my head on the ceiling in siltouts or very low vis. However, since I was swimming, I was going slow enough where it was simpy an annoyance. If someone wants to wear one, go for it.

at all times. Home, bed, work...my noggin
is protected! It's my old steel helmet from
the Army. Will last a lifetime.:)

There's nothing better than a 37 lb spun copper & brass DESCO bean pot. :D

Other than that, some folks don't go diving in areas/conditions that a helmet would be a very good thing to have, and they suppose no one else should either. After all, there aren't any big waves in caves, are there?:bonk:

Bob3 once bubbled...
There's nothing better than a 37 lb spun copper & brass DESCO bean pot. :D

Other than that, some folks don't go diving in areas/conditions that a helmet would be a very good thing to have, and they suppose no one else should either. After all, there aren't any big waves in caves, are there?:bonk:

No waves in a cave but often very strong flow.

It is BTW easy to find bright orange dry suits. Bright colored surface markers are widely available and more comfortable to carry than a helmet would be to wear.

For surf entry/exits on a rocky shore...I would do my diving when the surf wasn't so bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom