Why NOT to make DIR forum opt-in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deleted

Please, point me in the direction of Trace's excellent points.

I'm sorry that my joke about the name came across as whining. But, perhaps, if you're hearing every two weeks the same complaint about how the name implies others are somehow wrong, you might consider that a valid point and strongly support a more appropriate name. Seems GUE is in the process of dropping DIR in favor of GUE-F. And I think this would be a small start toward being able to carry on a civil discussion. Why would you oppose such an action if it would lead to better harmony and potentially more people embracing the idea of becoming better divers?

i don't oppose it. i'm sick of debating it. i think i posted a rant 2-3 years ago about dropping "DIR" in favor of "GUE" in fact and self-identifying as a "GUE diver" rather than "DIR diver" because i was trying to address the problems the name causes. now i've seen 200 threads on the issues with the DIR name and i'm tired of it. if you'd really like to complain to the guy responsible for it all, go make a post on gavinscooters how the name is stupid and stop wasting our time with the 201st thread on why the name is bad...

and trace's posts are publically available, use the search function, i don't work for you...

I truly did not realize how thin your and other DIR proponents skins are. I apologize for at all questioning what I've learned about DIR from the GUE texts and the GUE trained divers that I've met. I now realize that as far as you are concerned we should simply except the doctrine as it has been presented and quit looking for impovement or optimization as it relates to our dives.

oh, i'm not thin skinned at all. we can go at it all you like in the basic scuba forum after the DIR forum is made opt-in...

I just noticed that the Socal and deep south DIR forums are opt-in with a blurb about them being for people that have commited to DIR and if you are new to DIR or have a general question about DIR then post in the regular forum.

Along those lines another option to making this forum opt-in is to create a "dedicated DIR diver" forum for those that have training or are commited to getting training in DIR. Personally I like the idea of making this one opt-in but this might be a viable compromise.

If I were in charge I'd make it mandatory that posters in the DIR forum list the classes, date, instructor and certifications earned in their profile.

If I were in charge I'd make it mandatory that posters in the DIR forum list the classes, date, instructor and certifications earned in their profile.

I don't think that will work for a variety of reasons:
  • There is no reasonable way to verify the information, which effectively makes it useless
  • It discourages posts from people who are not DIR trained, but are genuinely curious about learning more about it
  • It discourages posts from people who are DIR-knowledgeable, but prefer to keep that type of information private
I personally have no objections to an opt-in forum. It would certainly be better than the situation we have now. I would probably prefer a "publicly readable, opt-in to post" type of arrangement, if the board software will allow that. There is also some merit to having a second, unmoderated DIR forum where people can discuss their differences without cluttering up the "DIR only" board for the rest of us.

I joined this board for one reason only, and that was to share and discuss the DIR philosophy with like-minded divers. Under the current circumstances, that has become almost impossible and unfortunately, I don't really have the time or inclination to debate the merits of the system (or lack thereof) with people who only want to argue and are clearly uninterested in "all things DIR".

As far as I am concerned, almost anything would be an improvement over the situation that we have now, and the sooner we get there, the better. For whatever that is worth.

It will be relatively easy, and it will work.

On the other hand, if you opt in and post a non-DIR answer you will be cursed and your manhood will fall off.

Sort of an all or nothing approach.

:D

It will need some enforcement ... as in, if you opt in and start posting answers you KNOW will antagonize the DIR proponents, you will be forcibly opted out and not allowed back into the forum.

Otherwise, you'll accomplish nothing ... some people come here to entertain themselves at the expense of the DIR community for one simple reason ... because they can.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It will need some enforcement ... as in, if you opt in and start posting answers you KNOW will antagonize the DIR proponents, you will be forcibly opted out and not allowed back into the forum.
Agree 100%! Trolling has to get your forcibly opted out, otherwise opt in is useless.

John

Gotcha. No disagreement. Still pondering details.

Meanwhile, all y'all recognize that any structural change, even with a more rigorous moderation level that may piss all y'all off here and there, is still going to be occasionally problematic.

Its going to take everyone working together to change direction over time.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom