Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those that have taken the class I've got a question pertaining to the physical requirements, specifically the swimming.

When is that part done? Is it at the start of the class leaving your tired and wore out, or at the end, middle? How's it handled?

I'm going to go practice this swimming, I know I can do 300 yards without stopping but I sure don't know that I can do it in 14 minutes and if I can't do that then there's no point in taking the course.

I.e. I will not take a course knowing full well I'll fail, there must exist the possibility that I will pass before I'll take it. The swimming is the only thing that concerns me because it's timed.

My second class did it on the first night after a classroom lecture.

If you can do 300 yards, you can do it in 14 minutes. I'm the slowest swimmer on earth and I made it.

Don't (don't don't don't) (did I say don't?) take the course expecing to pass. Don't even think about the fact that there's a passing and a failing, unless you really have to take Tech 1 or Cave 1 next week.

Take the course to *learn the skills*.

To get the most out of the course, you can't look at it as a pass/fail. You are there to learn as much as possible about diving and how to improve your own diving. There are many people who could not do the swim test, but their diving benefitted from the overall course. Don't let the swim test stop you from taking the course.

Matthew, we did our swim test on the first day, before we did any diving.

I am not a good swimmer. I swim sidestroke almost exclusively because I've never mastered the breathing for the crawl. I spent some time in the local pool before Fundies, because I felt the same way -- I was NOT going to fail the class on the swim test. I was amazed to discover that, even doing sidestroke, the 300 yds was EASY to do under 14 minutes. And when the night came for the test, he made us do 400 yds because the standards were changing (I note that change still hasn't shown up on the website) and I still finished in 10:30, well within the time.

The breath-hold swim was more of a challenge, but I got that, too.

The thing about Fundies is that you really shouldn't think about passing or failing. You go to the class to learn. Passing Fundies is only important if you want to go on to tech classes with GUE, and to do that, you have to take the class in doubles and with a can light. For a recreational diver, passing is irrelevant. But acquiring the skills and the knowledge is VERY relevant and worthwhile.

Matthew.. I think that if you have already made the decision that you are going to fail, then you will.. I am signed up for a fundamentals course this coming weekend, and although I can swim, I am not a "fast" swimmer. I guess I'd prefer to match my goal, rather than dismiss it. If you want to succeed, you can. Mind you.. I'll let you know on Tuesday...lol...

But seriously.. I believe that someone taking this course should really go in with an open mind, and you will definitely learn something, whether you follow the "rules" of DIR or not.

OO.. and by the way, the course is now a 4 day course, and cost is $400.

howarde:
So do you think that people WANT to excel faster than they should be on their own "natrual learning curve" ??

I would have to agree that diving more is the best way to hone your skills... With or without "training".

I think that's probably true for many people if you stay in the realm of recreational diving. However, I think there are divers who lack confidence and would benefit from DIR-F. And I think everyone would learn a lot about team diving by taking this course.

I think making Fundies a pass-fail class was a huge mistake.

One of the things that made this class so valuable was its emphasis on skills, and its approach to showing you what YOU needed to do to achieve proficiency. A C-card only muddled the focus on skills achievement, and shifted the goal toward card-achievement.

The purpose of the instructor isn't to pass you ... or even to work with you until you pass. The purpose of the instructor is to provide you with the knowledge and tools to attain a certain level of proficiency with the skills the class introduces. It is then up to the student to go out and practice those skills until that proficiency level is attained. For almost all of us, that cannot be accomplished in just four days.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I think making Fundies a pass-fail class was a huge mistake.

One of the things that made this class so valuable was its emphasis on skills, and its approach to showing you what YOU needed to do to achieve proficiency. A C-card only muddled the focus on skills achievement, and shifted the goal toward card-achievement.

The purpose of the instructor isn't to pass you ... or even to work with you until you pass. The purpose of the instructor is to provide you with the knowledge and tools to attain a certain level of proficiency with the skills the class introduces. It is then up to the student to go out and practice those skills until that proficiency level is attained. For almost all of us, that cannot be accomplished in just four days.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well said Bob. Couldn't agree more.

cummings66:
I'm going to go practice this swimming, I know I can do 300 yards without stopping but I sure don't know that I can do it in 14 minutes and if I can't do that then there's no point in taking the course.

I.e. I will not take a course knowing full well I'll fail, there must exist the possibility that I will pass before I'll take it. The swimming is the only thing that concerns me because it's timed.

It took a bunch of posts to get there, but I think this is the REAL reason most people will NEVER take fundies.

Are you afraid your friends will laugh at you if you don't pass? Ego too big to associate the word "fail" with your diving? Get over it. I knew I wouldn't pass the swimming portion and didn't try. Big deal.

I'd venture to say that 95% of the people who HAVE taken fundies and who have posted here, didn't pass on the first try. Who cares?

There's a million excuses for not doing something. Choose one. But those who want to take the class find a way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom