Why not attached hoods????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a harvey's titanium wet suit with the hood attached on it and I love it.. Wouldnt get one any other way.. It depends alot on where the hood it attached at.. Mine is attached to the farmer john and after I put it on there is a zipper on the front of it that holds the suit on.. Its a great design..

I have an oneil FJ7000 with an attached farmerjohn inside AND an attached hood. Aqualung makes a superstreatch 8mm with an attached hood. A few drysuits and wetsuits from the 1980's had attached hoods. I bet they are a hassel to deal with on EVERY dive day

My Oneil J suit has an attached hood. the problem is on the surface when you want to remove the hood. you have to unzip and pull the hood off, then fold it behind your head exposing your shoulders and up. The temptation to just pull the hood back running your head through the face opening should be avoided due to tearing the edges of the face seal.

...no one part of your bady is seperate from the other...

Lol, Minnesota.

But I kid. :D Seriously, this thread has a good and interesting topic.

I have a 7 mil full suit without a hood and a 7 mil hooded vest. Plus I have a loose hood 1mil just to keep the hair out of the way.
When diving temparate, I juste take the full suit and the loose hood and it is just fine. When diving cold, I just put on the full suit and the hooded vest. With the hood attached, not much water is entering.

I have had suits with attached hoods and they have worked well for me, however, they can be a PITA to work on when it comes time to change the neck seal. You first have to remove the hood, then change the neck seal and finally replace the hood again. It turns a 30 minute repair job into an all night project.

Different hoods for different temps. I wear no hood from 80 degrees up, a 7mil down to 50 degrees, and now a 12mm hood for our current water temps in the upper 30's.

I love my attached hood on my Viking. With a good face seal, I don't get much water in at all. Some of the other divers in my club with attached hoods use full face masks, I can't wait to get one of those. I also had an attached hood on my old wet suit. The only time I used a separate hood was years ago on my open water training dives with a rental wet suit - ugh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom