Why not attach spool to DSMB before the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no need for me to carry DSMB and reel/spool unattached. I’ve always carried them already rigged together and I see no need to change at this point. My regular buddies also carry them already attached.
Maybe there's "some" people out there who like to do the entire soup-to-nuts process because they like hard work?

Me, I hang the large reel and self-inflating CO2 cartridge SMB off my waist belt. Reach back and it's all ready to launch.

The spare's in the suit pocket rigged up with the spool and SMB, again ready to go.

Can't be doing with additional faff at the end of a dive.

There is no need for me to carry DSMB and reel/spool unattached. I’ve always carried them already rigged together and I see no need to change at this point. My regular buddies also carry them already attached.
It's a practice thing (as has been said several times throughout this thread)

If you expect to need to use it on a real dive, bring it rigged up.

I have considered this canister before I made my own. They are too bulky for me. I want it to be about the size of SMB and fit in my BCD waist pocket. Don’t want to hang it on my BCD D-ring land got bang around during giant entry or back roll into the water. Don’t want to have it on belt and lose it with the belt.

I can’t see if this metal canister is leaking or not until I open it at the surface. No problem to check for leak through a clear Acrylic canister.

I always did it that way. I dive the Great Lakes. Shooting a SMB isn’t something usually done in my diving. If you need to shoot a SMB, it’s an emergency, and you need to do it right effing now! Trying to rig it together in an emergency? Screw that. Dive with them already connected.
What emergency are you planning on solving immediately with a Smb?

Not having a visual reference or a way for the boat to track you during an unplanned, free ascent.
Unplanned free ascent = kick down while disconnecting inflator hose and then deflating until ascent fully stopped. SMB isn't used until the cork is stopped and only then would it even cross my mind to send it. Not sure if any other situation that can't be fixed with the above steps. Dump valve in the shoulder/butt work great in a pinch.

Unplanned free ascent = kick down while disconnecting inflator hose and then deflating until ascent fully stopped.
I suspect you're talking about different things. I read the "unplanned free ascent" to mean "I'm off the wreck and can't find the mooring/tie-in line. I've gotta ascend in open water."

I suspect you're talking about different things. I read the "unplanned free ascent" to mean "I'm off the wreck and can't find the mooring/tie-in line. I've gotta ascend in open water."
I read it that way at first too, but he was replying to an "emergency scenario".
What emergency are you planning on solving immediately with a Smb?
I don't see an ascent away from the line as an emergency requiring immediate fumbling of a dsmb at depth. No reason to not stay calm and blow bubbles while shooting it.

I don't see an ascent away from the line as an emergency requiring immediate fumbling of a dsmb at depth. No reason to not stay calm and blow bubbles while shooting it.

If you’re doing a deep dive on a lazy shot line, it’s a must return to shot dive. Should something go wrong— bailout, lost the wreck, lost your way, etc. — that requires you to ascend alone, then you should send up a SMB close to the wreck to alert the boat that they’ve a loose diver.

The people on the shot will delay the disconnect for some time and you’ll drift a long way downstream from those hanging on the lazy shot.

(Lazy shot: a second line with a trapeze at 6m/20ft is attached to the main shot line — with the anchor/grapple on the wreck — around 30m/100ft with a quick disconnect snap release. Divers clip a unique "tag" marker just before the release and descend to the wreck. On ascent divers do their deep deco on the shot line and at the junction move to the second line and retrieve their tag. If there’s no other tags, that diver will release the second line from the shot line and everyone floats downstream on the now free-floating second line with trapeze to complete their deco.)

Back
Top Bottom