Why not Atomic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tech divers love HOGs because they can easily get parts and work on them themselves. As Capt. Gene said, don't let a monkey mess with your Atomics. They really need proper technician support to last forever. But they do last forever.

Let me echo what Frank is saying here. Tech divers have regs up the wazo. Okay maybe not up the wazo but we own 4 each plus our rec reg. So that is 10 regs to get serviced. Having to take them into a shop gets expensive quick. So having parts access is a big deal. Other than Zeagle which is also based on the Apeks design, HOG is the only other reg that has parts available on the open market. That availability is very attractive to tech divers. The other reason regs like ScubaPro are falling out of favor is their screwing around with their "free parts for life" program. Folks got jaded.

FWIW I am the monkey that messes with my Atomic regs and would agree about getting someone who is reliable. I just took one apart that I think the previous owner serviced and lost a washer - instead spending $0.70 and getting a new one they tossed a shim in instead.

...of Apex which is an American copy of some other reg.
Not even close...
Apeks is a respected name and our factory is probably the best centre in Europe, in fact the world, for the development and manufacture of regulators. We design, develop, test, manufacture, and assemble products in our purpose-built factory in Blackburn.
All About Apeks

Atomics can be sent directly to the factory for expert servicing...

All regulators can be sent to the factory for expert servicing...but I can work on my HOGS myself. Like I said Atomics are great regulators and anyone who buys them will have no regrets but the HOGs are less expensive, user serviceable and breathe great.

Let me echo what Frank is saying here. Tech divers have regs up the wazo. Okay maybe not up the wazo but we own 4 each plus our rec reg. So that is 10 regs to get serviced. Having to take them into a shop gets expensive quick. So having parts access is a big deal. Other than Zeagle which is also based on the Apeks design, HOG is the only other reg that has parts available on the open market. That availability is very attractive to tech divers. The other reason regs like ScubaPro are falling out of favor is their screwing around with their "free parts for life" program. Folks got jaded.

FWIW I am the monkey that messes with my Atomic regs and would agree about getting someone who is reliable. I just took one apart that I think the previous owner serviced and lost a washer - instead spending $0.70 and getting a new one they tossed a shim in instead.

You can buy parts for Dive Rite regs as well I believe.

Am I being censored here? Just testing.

Okay, I think something is going on with this thread. I'll summarize my reply that didn't get posted:

Atomic Ryan,

Great customer-oriented reply. EU is third-world customer service. I returned my MK25/S600 because of SP's revolving-door warranty. Got a Z2X. Love it. Customer service and superb engineering are the reasons to select a dive gear manufacturer.

Do not let this this thread be closed.

akeegan2

---------- Post added November 21st, 2012 at 05:14 AM ----------

Atomic had there new T3 at the DEMA show. Get you one for yourself and maybe some B2's for your students. Just remember..........

"Before Atomic Aquatics, there was no BEST in Scuba Diving"

So, I just got a HUGE deal on an Atomic Z2 with an added Atomic swivel (it's not really a Z2X, I lied in previous posts). Should I return it to my besieged LDS and wait for the Z3? I'd rather keep his friendship than beat him up yet more.

akeegan

"4000 holes in... and though the holes were rather small..."

How small could they be if they could fill up Royal Albert Hall?

can you elaborate on what you mean by "Apex which is an American copy of some other reg"?

I was under the impression that Apeks was a UK company

I guess I was wrong it's not the first time and probably not the last. I thought I remembered hearing a shop say it was American but I was mis-informed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom