Why no bull sharks in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know bull sharks migrate to Playa Del Carmen every winter. Swimming across the channel wouldn't be that big of a deal and I'm just surprised that they don't do it.. or maybe they do. I know bull sharks tend to hang out around reefs in Fiji, so it's not out of the question for them to be around reefs. Does anyone know why they don't swim across the channel to Cozumel?

I know bull sharks migrate to Playa Del Carmen every winter. Swimming across the channel wouldn't be that big of a deal and I'm just surprised that they don't do it.. or maybe they do. I know bull sharks tend to hang out around reefs in Fiji, so it's not out of the question for them to be around reefs. Does anyone know why they don't swim across the channel to Cozumel?

Who says they don't?

shark.jpg

Where was this taken? I was talking to a group of divers on my last trip and we were kind of curious. I have personally seen black tip reef sharks and I have heard of divers seeing hammerheads. I was kind of perplexed as to why there couldn't be bulls in Cozumel... it's not like it's that far of a swim.

Palancar Caves, as I recall. December of '11.

Going with majority opinion, that's a bull and it was in Cozumel. (If you look carefully at the dorsal fin, I think there is a gray band with maybe seashells? So he was probably staying at the Iberostar.....)

Last edited:
With so many divers in the area, they are most likely scared off by the time most of us get there. My experience with most sharks has been that you have to be still and out of sight to see them. Unless of course you chum them in. Might try cutting your hand and see what shows up! Just kidding......

Who says they don't?

I agree. The bull shark dives are a relatively new thing in PDC, but that doesn't mean they weren't there for centuries. Could easily be places on the Cozumel side they are at but aren't dived so nobody right now knows they are there.

It is a territorial thing. To many reef sharks and trunkfish to allow bull sharks.

Damn trunk fish!

Wait, trunk fish?

Alot of brackish, sloping and otherwise coastal bull shark habitat along then coast if the mainland, with rivers and run-off and such?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom