Why NEA Dedicated Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wondering what the benefit is of having EAN dedicated tanks? Chances are, you'll only use EAN on boats (as opposed to shore diving) and boats use a membrane or pre-mix that doesn't require O2 clean tanks.

So, why the bother, expense and limited use of an EAN dedicated tank?

Last edited:
None of my cylinders are dedicated to the National Education Association. Is "NEA" like, some, like, Southern California thing for, like, "EAN" (which doesn't see much usage these days as well)? :)

To perhaps answer the question I think you're asking, if you're dealing with a shop that does partial pressure blending then you need dedicated cylinders. Otherwise, if all your sources are banked or membrane then your observation is correct, there's no need for dedicated cylinders.

Seeing that there's lots of partial pressure blending going on around the country and the world (especially in lower-fill-volume shops where a membrane system would not be cost effective -- for instance in Colorado) there's still a very clear need for dedicated cylinders for some divers.

Roak

Nitrogen Enriched Air...:>)

Woops - obviously a EAN newbie.

Most people get their tanks filled on land and bring full tanks to the boat. If your fill station "pumps nitrox" you're right, there is no need for dedicated tanks. If they do partial pressure blending there is.

Chances are, you'll only use EAN on boats (as opposed to shore diving) and boats use a membrane or pre-mix that doesn't require O2 clean tanks.

So, why the bother, expense and limited use of an EAN dedicated tank?
Chances are, I'll be diving somewhere other than in SoCal, where many boats have compressors.

Boats that make half day 2 or 3 tank trips usually do NOT have compressors, much less membrane systems.

Partial pressure fills are very common in many areas, although banked and membrane systems work well for higher volumes.

Charlie Allen

p.s. Out of curiousity -- do most of the boats in NJ/wreck valley and in North Carolina have compressors? Trips in those locations also seem to be the full day or longer trips where compressors make sense.

p.s. Out of curiousity -- do most of the boats in NJ/wreck valley and in North Carolina have compressors? Trips in those locations also seem to be the full day or longer trips where compressors make sense.

Dunno. I'm in so-cal (Orange County). Most boats from Ventura county to San Diego have compressors on board. Some have EAN through membrane systems, such as the Lois Ann and the Magician.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom