why links not working in a post, I am on Mac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have checked and don't see an answer to this question. For years I've been posting from a PC and had no problem embedding links.

I have just switched to a Mac desktop and have no idea why my links are not, well, *linking*. I'm doing what I've always done, highlight a web page address from the address bar, copy and insert into the message box along with what I'm writing. The link automatically happens when I hit the submit new thread or new post button. Or at least it used to do this on my PC......

Whut up Howard? :)

While I don't have a Mac to try to duplicate your problem. Can you share a link to a post where your link isn't showing?

Also, what browser on Mac are you using? Whatever it is... Try a different one.

I'm running OS 10.9.2, and Firefox 25.0 I have no problems getting links ( ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network - ScubaBoard Home ) to come in automatically, but I usually use the link tool (Best diving in the USA) to make my point clearer.

In the first parens I used the Scubaboard URL for the home page, in the second parens I used my own URL for the home page with the link tool.

Below any post you have options. One of the check boxes is to automatically parse links in text. Is this checked for you?

Let's see, Frank....going to Advanced Options "automatically parse links in text" is on.

Darn, does this mean I need to download Firefox...what I used to use....the OS I have is the same as yours.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2014 at 01:24 PM ----------

While I don't have a Mac to try to duplicate your problem. Can you share a link to a post where your link isn't showing?

Also, what browser on Mac are you using? Whatever it is... Try a different one.

Here's what I wrote last night, lots of links :p

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/as...regarding-edmond-halleys-diving-bell-dcs.html

You've got some weird hidden coding in there that I can't get out from cut and pasting. I got a couple to come out as links, but not all.

Huh. All I did was copy it from the web address bar, put it into Mac Mail email (sending it to the family member) then copied the whole email into the thread. I've done that before with no issues here on SB.

Anyway I have downloaded Firefox, maybe that will help...

The simple solution / answer is this.

Your mac mail is adding HTML code to the email which is being interpreted as formatting.

Capture.JPG If you highlight all of your text and then click on the "Strip Formatting" button which is circled in this image.
The editor will automatically pick up the links. Your post was full of formatting and such, like font and color on every line which threw the editor off. So either paste and then remove the formatting, or click the button to the left of that which the A/A button which goes to source mode, and then paste and the code shouldn't get appended.

I went back to the post you shared the link to... Highlighted the text, and clicked "Strip formatting" and now your post is all linked up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom