Info New Option for Links

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I there is a new option in Google's Chrome internet browser that allows linking to a specific point on a Web page. I don't know if they copied this feature from another browser or invented it, but I find it so useful that I can't imagine it will take long for it to be added to all browsers.

It works like this. Highlight the text on a Web page and right-click to bring up the context menu. Then click on "Copy link to highlight"

1637428781386.png

That copies a special URL (Internet address) to your "clipboard", a part of the computer's memory. Then go to the post you want to include it in. Note that it can also be used in any document you can add a link to including Emails, spreadsheets, and word processing documents. Here is an example for ScubaBoard post. Type your message, select the part of the text you want to be the link, and click the "chain link" icon. This menu will pop and you can paste the link in the URL box.

1637429135466.png

1637429332376.png
The post will like like this and people can click on the link.

Your Web browser "should" look something like this:

1637429470736.png

This link worked with the three browsers I tested it on. You can try it for yourself here:

This description explains it.

Please let me know if the link above fails to produce similar results on your device and browser you tested it on.

For Chrome Users​

I have not figured it out but not all highlighted text allows the "Copy link to highlight" option to be active. I can usually make it work by selecting a larger group of text, but not always.

:FAQtechnical: Technical Information
For the technical-minded, it creates an unusual URL, but it works:

https://scubaboard.com/community/threads/decompression-treatment-simplified.554804/#:~:text=OK%2C%20that%27s%20not,computers%20cost%20more.

More information if any of this makes no sense to you:

I just made a suggestion to xenForo to incorporate the highlighting feature in quotes so it would jump to the section of the linked post instead of the top of the post.

1637505794975.png

I wonder how many readers have discovered that the header in a quote is actually a hot link?

Back
Top Bottom