Why it should be LAW that people should get certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For that to be a debatable topic, it would have to in fact be something that could be reasonably supported as well as reasonably opposed. Else it isn't debatable.

This is not reasonably supportable.

If you want something scuba related though, consider the question of if scuba divers should be licensed by the state, or if there should be federal standards for scuba training, or if there should be a law that divers must be certified, and so on. There are plenty of legitimately debatable questions related to the scuba industry.

Agree completely.

How about this simple, easily debated topic: Boat operators (personal or otherwise) must be licensed just like car drivers. Like - pass a written test in which they have to know the purpose and rules of a dive flag! :shocked2:

Agree completely.

How about this simple, easily debated topic: Boat operators (personal or otherwise) must be licensed just like car drivers. Like - pass a written test in which they have to know the purpose and rules of a dive flag! :shocked2:

... I'd settle for requiring them to pass an IQ test and a curriculum that includes teaching them that they have to watch where they're going when the propellor's engaged.

Some training in basic boat handling would be nice, but that would reduce the entertainment factor at most boat ramps on any given Saturday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok Man I have a topic for you that is very debatable and can be fluffed to ten minutes quite easily!

Try the Pros and Cons of using decommissioned U.S. Navy ships as artificial reefs.
Some Pros would be:
New habitat for sea life
Will most likely bring more tourism to the area where the ship was sunk
etc...
Cons:
It cost a lot versus scrapping
It can be dangerous
etc...

You can argue this subject as a naturalist and diver, as wrecks are especially attractive to divers and argue against this as a concerned citizen against more government spending. It shouldn't be too hard to research, look into the USS America, sunk off Pensacola, FL I think?

And you should definitely read 1984! Start by watching V for Vendetta it's sort of similar the ending is kind of dumb but it gets you in the neighborhood. Also I most definitely believe 1984 is relevent in todays society. The underlying message still holds true.

Good Luck Sir!
hmm very interesting... I like it :D And to all those who are thinking of ideas, much appreciated! BTW, the state of our education system in LA is pretty darn good and I wouldn't say that I am a below average student or reader (4.7gpa where I live is slightly above average. Lots of competition) I just haven't read that book.

hmmmm...let's see...newly minted instructor trying to get rich on OW classes...or the owner of a failing dive shop needed a boost in revenue :hm:

Does the OP realize that the dive shops are already taxed, like all businesses?

There is an often ignored fallacy in this argument related to risk vs. exposure - Although non-swimmers may be more at risk of drowning near or in water because of their inability to swim, their exposure is much less, simply because they don't put themselves into situations that a swimmer would. So statistically a non-swimmer has much less chance of drowning than a swimmer. So in fact, if you taught everyone to swim you would actually see a massive increase in deaths from drowning.

We're not just teaching people to swim, we're teaching them about AQUATIC SAFETY, hence the certification "Water Safety Instructor" instead of simply swim instructor or coach.

Your argument is almost as wrong as the gateway theory.

Do we stop training people how to drive, because doing so increases the number of auto accidents? Learning to ride a bike leads to motorcycle accidents... just as taking aspirin leads to drug abuse.

People drown because they make bad choices in aquatic environments, put themselves in needless risk, and are uneducated... not because they live near the water or aren't sufficiently afraid of their pool.

Fear-mongering is NEVER the answer and always a bad idea because it prohibits thinking.

... BTW, the state of our education system in LA is pretty darn good ...

Hmmm.. I wonder what you base that statement on.
This study shows the US 33rd in reading skills.
Educational Score Performance - Country Rankings
Another study..
"The three-yearly OECD Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) report, which compares the knowledge and skills of 15-year-olds in 70 countries around the world, ranked the United States 14th out of 34 OECD countries for reading skills, 17th for science and a below-average 25th for mathematics"

And a state comparison State Profiles.net shows California at 46th out of 50.

This is not consistent with a statement that "state of our education system in LA is pretty darn good"

I applaude that you are looking for resources to help you with your studies, an excellent trait and one that will help you in future endeavors.
Maybe a topic for discussion (P.O.V.) would be around why the US needs to improve it's education and how it might do that.
I wish there were more like you who bounced their ideas off of others and seriously thought about how to sculpt the best arguments.

Hmmm.. I wonder what you base that statement on.
This study shows the US 33rd in reading skills.
Educational Score Performance - Country Rankings
Another study..
"The three-yearly OECD Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) report, which compares the knowledge and skills of 15-year-olds in 70 countries around the world, ranked the United States 14th out of 34 OECD countries for reading skills, 17th for science and a below-average 25th for mathematics"

And a state comparison State Profiles.net shows California at 46th out of 50.

This is not consistent with a statement that "state of our education system in LA is pretty darn good"

I applaude that you are looking for resources to help you with your studies, an excellent trait and one that will help you in future endeavors.
Maybe a topic for discussion (P.O.V.) would be around why the US needs to improve it's education and how it might do that.
I wish there were more like you who bounced their ideas off of others and seriously thought about how to sculpt the best arguments.

The state of education in Los Altos, one of the most affluent areas in the country, has extremely good education.

The state of education in Los Altos, one of the most affluent areas in the country, has extremely good education.

If that is true, then just two of the correct ways to say this would be:

In Los Altos, one of the most affluent areas in the country, the educational system is extremely good.

or

The educational system in Los Altos, one of the most affluent areas of the country, is extremely good.

Less wordy and more to the point. The orignal statement is confusing and disjointed, as well as grammatically incorrect. 46th out of 50 sounds about right. Aren't the most affluent areas the ones most able to afford good cocaine? And do they not also spend ridiculous amounts of money rewarding their children for mediocre performance. You got a "B"! Great! Here's a BMW, now go away. Mommy has a tennis lesson.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom