DIR- GUE Why is wing dump valve on left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure I understood this, go deeper and shutdown your air tank valve? What do you breathe then?
If diving doubles switch to your necklace.

If you're diving single tank the procedure is to disconnect the LP hose while dumping, if frozen switch to team mates long hose and shutdown valve.

I’d probably go head up and dump wing with my left hand and fiddle with the inflator QD with my right. At least then you’re going to be dumping the drysuit automatically by virtue of being vertical.

There’s something to be said for diving with redundant regs in cold water. H valve or doubles.
you've lost your ability to kick to maintain your position in the water column though and have decreased your resistance in the water by being vertical...

History, very first wing BC, At-Pac, first generation (1972) had the dump/OVP on the right, but it was soon removed and the OVP was placed on the Airway. 1976 Scubapro's wing, the BCP, also had the OVP/dump on the right. Sportsways (same year) had the OVP on the left on their wing. 1977 White Stag made 2 wings, one had the OVP on the right, but the other, with a true dump/OVP had it on the left. Seatec's wing had the dump/OVP on the right.

As we moved into the 90's, Diverite, OMS and Zeagle all were on the left. Halcyon comes on the market and their wing's OVP/Dump are also on the left.

So why does GUE "require" the dump on the left......it seemed to be the industry norm at the time and they adopted it would be my guess. I think you could come up with a valid justification regardless of the side it is on.

What’s the other option? Turn off all your gas and drown?

You’re on a single tank. You’re kind of in a pickle.
you've lost your ability to kick to maintain your position in the water column though and have decreased your resistance in the water by being vertical...

What’s the other option? Turn off all your gas and drown?

You’re on a single tank. You’re kind of in a pickle.
The team?

Feather the valve? See if it's easier to disconnect when not under pressure.

The team?

Feather the valve? See if it's easier to disconnect when not under pressure.
You'll be bobbing at the surface before they can even respond

In a single tank you have to go head up to vent as best you can and disconnect, venting drysuit at the same time is a plus. Not having deco or and overhead (in a single tank) means it's not really a major emergency even if you do pop to the surface.

You can vent faster than inflator can put gas in your BCD and you will vent your suit at the same time. You might go up a meter or two but you'll be coming down in few seconds. You are venting and disconnecting at the same time. In your case, even if you kick down while disconnecting, you still have to vent afterwards.

You'll be bobbing at the surface before they can even respond

In a single tank you have to go head up to vent as best you can and disconnect, venting drysuit at the same time is a plus. Not having deco or and overhead (in a single tank) means it's not really a major emergency even if you do pop to the surface.
Considering the tag is DIR-GUE

The SOP as outlined in the v3 SOP manual is
1. signal team
2. Detect source of auto-inflation
3. If single tank: Dump gas from corrugated host while disconnecting LP hose. If it's iced switch to teammate long hose and close valve.

The video on GUE.tv of a single tank procedure for a stuck power inflator is fin down while dumping from OPV and then after dumping enough gas pull the LP hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom