Why is there no alert system on the perdix ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting reading people arguing in this thread. Actually the lack of vibration alert on the Perdix is what made me purchase the Teric (coming from a Peregrine).

For me the vibration alerts are a confirmation thing. I never rely on them per sae, for example if I'm at 40m rec watching Mola-mola and I know my NDL is getting low, means I don't have to glance at my wrist quite as often as I'm expecting the alert - if the alert doesn't come then I'm checking my computer soon anyway wondering why the alert hasn't arrived.

I think people are also confusing reliance with a belt & braces fail safe approach. In tec (or recreational for that matter) there's no way I'd rely on the vibration alerts instead of keeping an eye on things. However, it is nice to have alerts as a fail safe on the off chance you do something utterly stupid or were pre-occupied with a situation etc. - but the alerts are no excuse to be complacent.

Had the Perdix supported the vibrate function, I would have purchased it over the Teric (I prefer the bigger screen).
Can you feel it vibrate through a drysuit and thick underclothes?

For that matter, can you hear a Suunto beeping through a thick hood?

Alternatively ensure you've been monitoring your dive computer throughout the dive. Once you move to a rebreather you'll find you'll spend a lot more time checking them.

For me the use case would be for significant deviations. Like if my ppo2 turns at 2, I would like my computer to immediately alert me in every possible way. Would even mind to have the screen turning stroboscopic 🤣
hopefully that would wake me up from what ever issue I m having and save a life

Ummmmmm….

Well, on your wired petrel, the screen will start flashing RED as soon as you go above 1.6, along with your HUD (if you have one).

If you or your teammates can’t see that, you may have bigger issues than not looking at your wrist while diving a rebreather….

Going hyperoxic doesn’t immediately put you to sleep… that comes later after your nervous system shuts down trying to win the dance off at the disco hall…

Hypoxic puts you to sleep… don’t think a vibrating anything over a drysuit, undergarment and a PPO2 of <0.15 will do that trick.. unless it somehow is on your manual O2 addition system (like a solenoid)

_R

This thread reminds me of previous threads where someone wanted features added to Shearwater. Rec mode and Air Integration come immediately to mind. In a hilarious turn of events, Shearwater announced air integration while the thread discussing that matter was still active.

Personally I'd like to see the feature. I don't really like the audible alarms, but I'd use haptic alarms. Having a vibrator also allows the DC to provide additional feedback to the user when tooling around the UI.

Shearwater is great about not forcing things onto users, so I'm sure if they added such a feature it could be disabled. More likely it would ship disabled and users would have to enable it.

This thread reminds me of previous threads where someone wanted features added to Shearwater. Rec mode and Air Integration come immediately to mind. In a hilarious turn of events, Shearwater announced air integration while the thread discussing that matter was still active.

Personally I'd like to see the feature. I don't really like the audible alarms, but I'd use haptic alarms. Having a vibrator also allows the DC to provide additional feedback to the user when tooling around the UI.

Shearwater is great about not forcing things onto users, so I'm sure if they added such a feature it could be disabled. More likely it would ship disabled and users would have to enable it.
And again, most of us don't mind alarms as such. We mind inevitable complexity and price increase.
Can you buy new Petrel now? Perdix is now few years old and it will be phased out eventually. Sometime in the future if Shearwater decides to drop non-AI Perdix and I need new computer, that will force me to pay more for something I don't need with AI Perdix.

If you need beeps and vibrations to remind you to check your computer, that’s the intended audience of the Peregrine
Chuckles .... my Peregrine does not beep, thank god, but the vibration alert on it is quite nice. I have 2 alerts set on mine, 85' and 3 min to NDL. One alert to remind me to slow down my descent, reaching my depth limit; and one alert to remind me it is time to start thinking about coming up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom