Why is Scuba Diving a Transitional Sport?

How was your journey toward making scuba diving a long term avocation?

• I got OW certified and never looked back--it was my primary avocation from the start.

Votes: 70 81.4%
  • I travelled a bumpy path to find my niche and/or my core group of fellow divers.

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • I struggled for years and have recently found mostly what I wanted in diving.

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRansition implies it's intermediate to something further along/more advanced in the same type of activity. Like the old saw "marajuana is a transitional drug to heroin addiction". What do you contend scuba transitions to? I'm confused.

Hi Kharon,

I took the term, "transitional avocation" to mean that a person passes through scuba to some other avocation. Their transition from one sport to another. In scuba, they may have been transients, but their avocational transformation continues.

Bucket list. As in, been their, done that.

It is good to ascertain what someone's intent is, but sometimes we can take parsing words too far.

Enjoyed it,
markm

Of course, the results of this poll are strongly influenced by the divers that actively participate on SB. It, in no way, represents the general diving population. This is a generic warning for any poll on SB :). Do 2/3 of divers really dive BP&W, I don't think so How do you dive, part 2?

To answer your question specifically,
scuba diving is a very niche sport that very few make into a lifetime hobby.
It’s always been that way. It has nothing to do with “how it was” or “training was better back then” or anything else including better or easier gear. There are not that many people who are into diving beyond a vacation activity and there is definitely a been there done that factor that tried it and moved on. People get bored with stuff that’s not in their blood. I used to golf, road bike (bicycle), I had hot rods, and other stuff. I got bored with all of it and moved on but so far diving has stuck longer than anything after 20 years and it doesn’t look like I’m going to get bored anytime soon.
I think the industry can get a lot of people to try it but that doesn’t mean they will stick with it. There nothing anybody can do about that other than the diver being self motivated to stay interested.
All my original buddies moved on and there’s been several different revolving door buddies and acquaintances since then including a few dive clubs that formed and went away with the time period. I’m still here and their not.
People get bored and move on. There’s also those that will only dive if the water is 85 degrees and above and will only fly to places. I think they have a greater drop out rate than a local diver just because it becomes a hassle and expensive. Local divers tend to be the dedicated ones in my experience and are willing to not let minor inconveniences get in the way of the thrill of diving.

I took the term, "transitional avocation" to mean that a person passes through scuba to some other avocation. Their transition from one sport to another.

If "transitional" was indeed intended, then I would narrow the interpretation to passing through scuba to some related avocation. For example, one might transition from scuba to freediving. It just doesn't sound right to my ears to say someone "transitioned" from scuba to rock climbing, although I suppose both fall under the umbrella of sports. Maybe water sports? Could one transition from scuba to water polo? But whatever.

It is to good to ascertain what someone's intent is, but sometimes we can take parsing words too far.

Yeah yeah yeah. Agreed.

But the poll was about why did you continue diving? Not about stopping....

Hi tursiops,

In the spirit of brevity, I cheated a little. I can be long winded with these things as I worked in development entitlements (politics and legal). The problem is most people won't read a detailed post or any document beyond a quick paragraph or two.

I have a friend who was popped for DUI. He won't put down his novels in order to learn about the legal system and the people in it who may send him to the penitentiary.

The poster above is correct. A person who transitions from this sport to another is not on Scubaboard. I am more interested in two things about you:
  1. why did scuba become a major hobby for you; and,
  2. was it difficult to find your niche and core community of divers?
Here is my answer (to iterate in different words):

I grew up on the water. I fished for albacore, yellowfin, marlin, yellowtail, halibut, and other fish. I sailed boats. My father and I transferred boats up and down the west coast. That was before I had my 20th birthday.

Scuba was a way to stay in contact with Ocean. And to travel to different parts of the world.

My scuba journey has been a difficult passage. My wife and I always took diving issues with a grain of salt. Sometimes it was great and sometimes it wasn't great. We were in it for the entire package.

I am still an explorer by nature. I want to dive advanced recreational sites.

I seem to be learning from most people on this thread, that they were "all in" from the start and found their niche either quickly or by being persistent and adaptive. They overcame.

I am one of the two votes for "I struggled for years..." But, as I suspected most people on scubaboard had a more straight-line path to fulfillment--by far.

thanks,
markm

To answer your question specifically,
scuba diving is a very niche sport that very few make into a lifetime hobby.
It’s always been that way. It has nothing to do with “how it was” or “training was better back then” or anything else including better or easier gear. There are not that many people who are into diving beyond a vacation activity and there is definitely a been there done that factor that tried it and moved on. People get bored with stuff that’s not in their blood. I used to golf, road bike (bicycle), I had hot rods, and other stuff. I got bored with all of it and moved on but so far diving has stuck longer than anything after 20 years and it doesn’t look like I’m going to get bored anytime soon.
I think the industry can get a lot of people to try it but that doesn’t mean they will stick with it. There nothing anybody can do about that other than the diver being self motivated to stay interested.
All my original buddies moved on and there’s been several different revolving door buddies and acquaintances since then including a few dive clubs that formed and went away with the time period. I’m still here and their not.
People get bored and move on. There’s also those that will only dive if the water is 85 degrees and above and will only fly to places. I think they have a greater drop out rate than a local diver just because it becomes a hassle and expensive. Local divers tend to be the dedicated ones in my experience and are willing to not let minor inconveniences get in the way of the thrill of diving.

Hi Eric,

Personal, rational, and philosophical.

thanks,
markm

Of course, the results of this poll are strongly influenced by the divers that actively participate on SB. It, in no way, represents the general diving population. This is a generic warning for any poll on SB :). Do 2/3 of divers really dive BP&W, I don't think so How do you dive, part 2?

This poll is definitely not a "scientific" poll. You are correct. My intent was to gauge people who are in scuba for the long haul.

thanks,
markm

I have been through many phases of my diving including photography and hunting. Now I mainly just relax and look around. I still take a camera with me when I travel, but am not very serious about it. I recently had a dive in Boynton Beach where 5 bottlenose dolphins swam slowly in front of me, did a slow circle around me, and then swam away. It was a rare experience to savor.

A lot of people, in fact the vast majority, who do a dive course are doing it to tick off a box in things to do. Same for people who do a parachute jump, gliding or hang gliding. Once they have done it, that is finished. In my family alone I have a niece and a nephew who did a course and basically have never dived again. Same as all the friends who did the dive course with me and all the other friends who learnt after I did and because I did. Not one of them still dived two years later, let along 30 years later like me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom