Why is DIN better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These screw onto a DIN fitting to allow use of the DIN equipped regulator on yoke style valves. They are available at most dive shops and E Bay for about 35-45 bucks.

These adapters cause the regulator to extend farther forward which should be allowed for in setting up your gear. The adapter also consitutes another revolving member and the diver is responsible for seeing that it is secure.

Devjr,

I understand the interest in having higher pressure - but is this not also mainly an issue fo r rcreational divers - if you check DIR specs and most other serious techies I know of, they prefer LP since gas blending is much safer at those pressures.

And I'm sure you have managed to have O-rings survive for 10(?) years and still look new, but understand that this is not alway the case, you use your own tanks and treat them well, I have rented tanks where I had to replace all the o-rings in one day..., if one is not careful, it is easy to crank a yoke down and crack the o-ring.

Other than that - sounds like you have the right setup.
Cheers,
T

You are not listening. It is impossible for a yoke connection to crack a rubber O ring because the lock up of a modern valve to regulator is metal to metal. The metal outer circumference of the valve annulus stops the regulator orifice from depressing the ring too far. In cases where the O ring has to be replaced regularly, it is the wrong O ring; otherwise the valve face or regulator orifice is defective. Check for dents and dings.

DIR divers like the DIN because it is a religion. Pressure has nothing to do with it. Once they make a pronouncement, it is law and everybody else is a "stroke". They like the DIN because they are always bumping into things and believe the regulator is more secure. I will concede one advantage of the DIN; this type of connection is less likely to get tangled in fishing lines or weed.

Dev,

I think you're right on the money regarding some aspects of the DIR philosophy and it's leaders. Please don't brush aside some of their ideas though just because of the low quality of some folks that attach themselves to DIR.

I use a DIN valve for a number of reasons. I've sat on a boat roasting in my suit on several occassions while companion divers have struggled with leaking yoke valves. Also, though it may just be psychological, a DIN valve just feels a lot better engineered and solid than a yoke valve does.

Well, I didn't mean to imply anything about DIR divers being religious or not or wether they are right or wrong - as far as I'm concerned that's a moot point.
Sounds to me like you guys are as far out there as anyone else - you're just self proclaimed the other way -

If you don't mind - I'll just go diving with my non-standard Stroke buddies and have fun while the rest of you keep the "fight" going - hope you enjoy yourself.

T

Now, that's a good one. Have you ever tried to remove an O ring? Takes a dental tool and determined prying. If it were't for the clever relief groove pressed into the inner border of the annulus you would never get one out. Fall out? I should be so lucky.

What is going on out there? Leaky O rings, falling out O rings; sounds like something from the 1950's.

The DIN equipment trend, I suspect, is another move by the manufacturers to cover themselves liability wise and to profit at the same time. PST probably decided to go with this system on their 3500 psi tanks to prevent interchangeabilty with older type yoke valves, those that use compression style(fat) O rings. If these were used and blew out, PST's lawyers would have a fit and the company would be sued. The gas manufacturers association has got all kind of crazy connections for just about any conceivable gas. Now, we hear from our British friends that your DIN connection won't even work with NITROX in a few years due to standards manipulation. Thanks a lot. Isn't this fun?

Am I trying to dissuade people from DIN? I never thought of it that way. However, I consider the use of DIN or A clamps(yoke) entirely optional. Somebody asked a question and here is my opinion.

The DIN connection evolved at a time to serve a certain need, reliability at pressures above 3300 psi. That was then. One of the best kept secrets in the world is that manufacturers like Sherwood Selpac recognized the need to upgrade the yoke valve, did so in the mid 70's and never told anyone. That is apparent judging from the comments. Leaking O rings? What tha?

The leaky O ring was probably caused by clumsy use of the icepick as an O ring remover. In other words, the valve face had been damaged by the employee and no O ring would seal in that valve again. The same could happen to a DIN regulator, by the way.

That may be less likely, however, due to the fact that regulators are "personal" items and hence receive better care than rental equipment, at least one could assume. I think we have hit upon a source of the tales involving O ring failure, rental tanks. It also implies that the source of the problems is abuse or operator error such as wrong tools or misalignment and not the fault of the yoke attachment per se.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom