why is Cozumel so popular? Bad experience or just over rated expectations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almost everyone seems to feel Cozumel is one of the most outstanding dive places in the Carrib. We gave it a try and yes I will admit we were budget minded. I won't go into entire story since it is on worst of Cozumel thread but we were very disappointed. Vis 40 ft at best (March) horrible current and lack of coral and sea life....maybe we set our expectations to high but maybe we just screwed up and should try it again. What do we want in a dive? Micro is nm one...colors and corals nm 2...macro is also fun ... we are both experienced divers and have been certified since the late 70's. Drift diving to me is ok at best...I like to be able to stop and smell the coral if I want. We are doing Little Caymen in two weeks....Bonaire in April and now talking about the trip after that. Should we give it a try again and if so stay where and what dive operation? If its not for us lets me know that also. I want and I need your input...I had written off Cozumel but then I do not want to miss out due to one bad decision. Thanks Bill
Hi there,
I echo the sentiment above. I found diving in Cozumel so sad I didn’t want to go again.
I dove the Palancar reef Nov/23. I liked the outfit we went with. I liked the equipment, the dive master and the boat captain. However once under the surface, despite the interesting topography, the coral was bleached and covered in algae.
I think if you want to see beautiful coral this is not the place.

Hotel Cozumel and Dive Paradise are a good cost/value combo. We’ve stayed there around 10 times I’d guess. Haven’t stayed since it got taken over by Wyndham. It’s not luxurious but clean and close to town.

Reactions: jmb
WOW! What a blast from the past, thanks Ninia. 9 years ago, talk about thread necropsy, but sure made me think of my dives since then. Nothing ever compared to the total cluster fk that dive was. It was our fault, do your research. Well we went back to Coz 3 times since then and used blue xtc and love Christi, sorry she left but happy for her. The next 3 trips were excellent. Drift diving is not the norm in most Caribbean destinations but sure enjoyed it. In the Caribbean Little Cayman is our favorite. Bonaire 2nd and Cozumel 3rd. Just our opinion. Love Coz and will go back I hope, the people and the food are some of the best. Thank you again for the memories. Bill

Sorry to report that after diving in Palancar I was so sad and disappointed that I did not bother to dive again. The coral was mostly green with algae and there was plenty of coral bleaching.
I should have done my homework!

I heard on the radio this morning that the water temperatures around South Florida reached 100 degrees this summer, and chunks of coral have been removed from the reefs to keep in salt water tanks until the water gets cooler.

Sorry to report that after diving in Palancar I was so sad and disappointed that I did not bother to dive again. The coral was mostly green with algae and there was plenty of coral bleaching.
I should have done my homework!
next time try bringing a flashlight to restore the color.
Many divers expect to see the colors they see in videos or photos and don;t realize the reefs look colorless and drab without lights.

I was showing a video of a dive we did earlier in the day to a group that was amazed at the vibrant colors and insisted I photoshopped the colors.

I showed them in the video how grey the reef looked in the areas the lights were not aimed.

They were amazed at the difference in color and started using their flashlights the next day

next time try bringing a flashlight to restore the color.
Many divers expect to see the colors they see in videos or photos and don;t realize the reefs look colorless and drab without lights.

I was showing a video of a dive we did earlier in the day to a group that was amazed at the vibrant colors and insisted I photoshopped the colors.

I showed them in the video how grey the reef looked in the areas the lights were not aimed.

They were amazed at the difference in color and started using their flashlights the next day
With all due respect, there is a huge difference between healthy coral that looks “drab” due to the absence of the red end of the color spectrum at depth and the look of green algae. There’s no mistaking coral for algae. Nor is there mistaking bleached coral for healthy coral.

I was just in Coz a few weeks ago, and the reefs looked terrible. And it had nothing to do with a flashlight.

That means that this thread lay dormant (for nine years!) before someone decided to resurrect it by posting something in the thread (which usually happens by accident when people don't realize how old the discussion is).

Reactions: L13

Back
Top Bottom