why is Cozumel so popular? Bad experience or just over rated expectations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually don't have to worry too much about people getting in the way of my shots. My wife and I are usually the in the back of the group, taking our time down the reef.

if you want cheap, go to the Philippines.......

Just checked on flights to the Philippines for this April. It would cost me $1,000 to fly there, but the flights are landing the next day. So my 7-days of vacation with 5 days diving is now 3 days of diving. That doesn't seem worth it at all. And taking more than 7 days of vacation at a time seems crazy. (Flights to Cozumel for me are $500 at the same time. I got cheaper flights this winter though.)

This winter, vacation for 2 will be $2,500, if we spend our entire food budget. If we went to Phillipines we'd have to get hotel, food, and diving for $500 to match Cozumel. And deal with 2 fewer days of diving.

Maybe the people who can vacation for a month it makes more sense to travel over there, but cost wise, and time wise, it doesn't make sense for me.

I'm thinking Cozumel is cheap.
And that's why we go there. Cheap, easy flights- and beautiful diving.

I want to thank everyone for their replies. Mistakes we made did contribute to our less than steller dive trip as I do admit to that. One dive is not enough to pass judgement and we obviously made a poor decision on dive operators. Will we be back? Not sure... I had experienced drift diving before but my dive partner had not and did not like it. Yes...price is great compared with what we will drop at LC but we get very few vacations per year and dont mind a slurge.I knew when I started this thread it was like going toamVette board and asking why people liked them but I received excellent feedback and advice. My worst dives are still better thsn my best days at work! We leave in 7 days for little cayman then off to bonaire...who knows after that but as long as we are blowing bibbles life will be great. Bill

Can't blame you for choosing LC over Coz. I'll be chastised and tequila will be withheld on my next (of many) visits to Coz, but the Bloody Wall IS Bloody freakin' awesome! The reefs in Coz are truly amazing, and the drift diving easy, but I do enjoy hanging over a barrel sponge and watching the critters inside for minutes at a time. I think LC was probably the best Caribbean diving I've done. However, the island life, and people are what truly brings me back to Coz. LC doesn't have much to offer when off the boat. Are you staying at LCBR? THAT is some laid back pampering with awesome diving, I hope I can get back there someday.

Just checked on flights to the Philippines for this April. It would cost me $1,000 to fly there, but the flights are landing the next day. So my 7-days of vacation with 5 days diving is now 3 days of diving. That doesn't seem worth it at all. And taking more than 7 days of vacation at a time seems crazy. (Flights to Cozumel for me are $500 at the same time. I got cheaper flights this winter though.)

This winter, vacation for 2 will be $2,500, if we spend our entire food budget. If we went to Phillipines we'd have to get hotel, food, and diving for $500 to match Cozumel. And deal with 2 fewer days of diving.

Maybe the people who can vacation for a month it makes more sense to travel over there, but cost wise, and time wise, it doesn't make sense for me.

I'm thinking Cozumel is cheap.
And that's why we go there. Cheap, easy flights- and beautiful diving.
You don't have to travel for a month. Two extra days would make up for the two lost days of diving. The travel can be more onerous, but it really depends where you're coming from. For me, it's a pain to get to the Caribbean. I change planes in Houston and depending on the connection there may be a long layover or an overnight. On the other hand, I can drive an hour to LAX and fly non-stop to the Philippines. More time on the plane to be sure, but I save on the connection time and overnights so it's a wash.

$500 more to fly there may not be worth it to you, but you're hardly experienced enough to already be weary of the "same old" Caribbean species. The diversity of fish and corals across the Pacific is mind-boggling.

At one dive trip a year, I doubt I'll get tired of cozumel soon. Of course I have 5 times more dives there than the poster complaining there was nothing to see.

(Turtles are my favorite and after just being surrounded by th snorkeling in the galapagos I'm not sure cozumel will match up. Maybe if I finally get to see a loggerhead)

My flight to the Philippines arrived in Manila the predawn darkness. I was greeted by a representative of the resort where I was staying, and I was there by 7:00 AM. I checked in and was in the water for the 9:00 AM dive. I did two more dives that day, ate supper, and then slept close to 12 hours. I then did several more very full days of diving before heading out to another location where I met some people I knew who had flown in for a week. Together we did 5 days of diving and one day of snorkeling with whale sharks before heading out.

Remember that you lose a day crossing the International Dateline in one direction, but it is given back to you when you return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom